Sand Storm in Chicago

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
souljer

Sand Storm in Chicago

Post by souljer »

Hi,

Hollywood asked me to post pix of the work done at the Chicagoland Pipe Show. As you all probably know, before the actual show, there is a small pipe making seminar. Sandblasting equipment was available so I brought 4 pipes ready for sandblasting.

I managed to finish them all in the two days and ended up selling three of them. One I still have and is on my website.

This pipe had some great ring grain even when just roughly smoothed out. A promise that was kept in the end. It had quite a few pits and was going to be a blast no matter what.

This little poker I had sitting on the shelf unfinished for months. Like the above pipe I could see in the smooth wood a strong growth grain pattern. However the grain here was rather crazy and sort of ugly except for the shank which was very nice straight grain. The bottom exhibits nice and tight birds-eye. It looks WAY better blasted and once I got to work on it in earnest for the show, a little redesign and shaping made it a lot better.

This pipe was a sort of Zulu shape with the rim perpendicular to the front wall. However it sort of looked clumsy to me. So I cut down the rim and brought it more in line with the shank. I wanted the rim to be dished out and smooth to contrast with the sandblasted finish, but a rather large pit threatened to frustrate that idea. At the seminar Teddy Knudsen suggested slightly lowering only that part of the rim giving it a gentle curve. His idea worked and the pit was reduced to just a line. This pipe has a very stout, racy feel. The grain was strong and well centered, draping over the back of the bowl like a spider-web. I would not have minded keeping this one at all.

This pipe is the biggest of the group at about 6.5 inches long. This block exhibited some great straight grain, but when I was working on the shank a giant flaw appeared about 2/3s down the shank. I decided to keep it for myself or just keep it for when I might get to sandblast it. That turned out to be at Chicago about 6 months later. It's a basic, slightly stylized poker on top. I had an idea for decorating the base, which is something I like to do. This pipe was the only one were there was enough room so I went for it. Fortunately it worked because by now I was working against the clock on the last day and was not going to have enough time to redo any errors. This pipe did not sell. I was never really thrilled with the staining, so I changed it a little when I got it home, making the smooth parts much lighter. I like it now.

That's about it I think. Hope that was not too long.

Comments appreciated. :)
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
Charl

Post by Charl »

Great work! Like I said ealier in a post: I can only dream of going to a pipemaking seminar! :cry:

I especially like the "Zulu". And one of the main reasons why I like it, is the rim! Nice suggestion Teddy!

The second pipe (the poker) is also quite nice, although I am not too crazy about the shape of the shank. It almost look as if it's a branch growing out of a treetrunk. If it was mine, I would have made the bottom more round, and the shank round as well.

But that's just my own personal taste.

Great job, again!
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

I was the good looking one! ROFL!!

I just knew these would turn out friggin' great! Some wonderful pipes, man. Love the stem work. And you did one heck of a job with the blasts. Congrats on selling them, too!

As far as the tampers .... all it takes is a great piece of work .... and a lot of folks talking them up and showing them off! I want a Stainless Steel one!! :wink:

Hope to talk to you soon!

Dave
Dave-
Frank

Post by Frank »

hollywood wrote:As far as the tampers .... all it takes is a great piece of work .... and a lot of folks talking them up and showing them off! I want a Stainless Steel one!! :wink:
What shape in stainless steel? I might be able to make one for you.
Last edited by Frank on Tue May 13, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
souljer

Post by souljer »

Charl wrote:Great work! Like I said ealier in a post: I can only dream of going to a pipemaking seminar! :cry:

I especially like the "Zulu". And one of the main reasons why I like it, is the rim! Nice suggestion Teddy!

The second pipe (the poker) is also quite nice, although I am not too crazy about the shape of the shank. It almost look as if it's a branch growing out of a treetrunk. If it was mine, I would have made the bottom more round, and the shank round as well.

But that's just my own personal taste.

Great job, again!
Hi,

Thanx for your input, I appreciate your comments.

Regarding the shank shape; first off, I like how nature designs things. Trees have been around for a few billion years so I feel they kind of got the hang of it by now. :lol:

Making the shank rounder was not done for two specific reasons however. One was if I did that it would make the shape closer to a Dunhill shape 475. That is a shape that I personally love (first pipe I ever bought off Ebay, as a matter of fact), but I usually am not looking to make pipes that are commonly made by others. If only slightly different, at least it's not a copy.
The second reason was that the shank and bottom of the pipe were the two places where the grain was nice and the birds-eye is strong. Rounding the shank would eliminate a lot of that nice grain structure. So I decided to keep it wider and flatter to show more.

That's about it.
souljer

Post by souljer »

hollywood wrote:I was the good looking one! ROFL!!

I just knew these would turn out friggin' great! Some wonderful pipes, man. Love the stem work. And you did one heck of a job with the blasts. Congrats on selling them, too!

As far as the tampers .... all it takes is a great piece of work .... and a lot of folks talking them up and showing them off! I want a Stainless Steel one!! :wink:

Hope to talk to you soon!

Dave
Heh,

Thanx. This was my second time with the sandblaster but I think last year's pipe came out better. The stems are getting easier, but they still take about 2/3s of the total pipe-work for me.

Yes the tamper shape is nice (thank you), but it's the same shape I've had for the last six or so months. Like you said, people talking about them at the show made a big difference. Also I brought a new version made of copper and that has a nice hefty hand feel that just feels like a tool not a toy, although some preferred the lighter aluminum for the lightness. It's just personal preference really. They both work the same.

Frank, if you are going to make any you will make them for me. This is my original design I created last year, I'm not copying someone elses work. I spoke to Rolando about them and he also spoke of steel. Do you have tools for cutting steel? Here's what the copper tampers looks like.
photography by Neill Archer Roan

From Neill's kind write up on his great blog:
A Passion for Pipes: A Hit of the Chicago Show
Frank

Post by Frank »

Souljer wrote:Frank, if you are going to make any you will make them for me. This is my original design I created last year, I'm not copying someone elses work.
Ahhh, I see. :idea: I thought Dave was saying that he wanted a SS tamper, generally speaking. I didn't realize he was referring to your specific shape. No sweat, I certainly wouldn't copy your design.

As for working in metal, that's not a problem. With a metal lathe/mill and some dabbling in knife making, an all metal tamper wouldn't be a problem. I've been toying with the idea of making stainless steel tampers for the past few months. Primarily because it doesn't tarnish. I'm just trying to clear a backlog of other tasks first.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice work, Souljer.