Lighter wood = better quality?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Charl

Lighter wood = better quality?

Post by Charl »

On a local tobacconist's website regarding a certain pipe range, they said that the pipes are really light. And because of that fact, implied that the wood is of very good quality.

So according to them, the lighter the wood, the better the quality.

Any truth in that statement?
Frank

Post by Frank »

I don't know about superior quality, but a lighter pipe makes a big difference when it comes to comfort of "clenching". I sold off all my Petersons in favour of my Wellingtons because they're quite a bit lighter.

As for the quality thing, I'd be interested to hear what experienced pipemakers make of that statement. It could be just another myth, like the myth of the 100 year old briar.
See: http://www.rdfield.com/Barbi/The_Briar_Saga_1.jpg and http://www.rdfield.com/Barbi/The_Briar_Saga_2.jpg
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

I think, in the broad scheme of things, that the weight of a particular kind of wood is close to the bottom of the list in its significance.

Closer to the top of that list would be the wood's natural beauty. For better or for worse, we buy pipes because we find them attractive.

But absent inherent beauty, any kind of wood can be made into an attractive pipe, depending on how you work it. When you see a sandblasted pipe, about the only thing you're really seeing is how the growth rings interact with the shape.

Well heck, every single piece of wood has growth rings. Some have thicker growth rings, some have thinner growth rings, but all wood has growth rings.

Then there are a myriad of rustication techniques that could add character to even the world's most plain piece of wood.

It's just that, if the wood has a lot of character to begin with, that gives you a better starting point.

Of course, you do have to factor in wood toxicity. Most of the data available is anecdotal, but you want to have some sort of reason to believe that a particular kind of wood's not going to make people sick.

Another factor closer to the top of the list would be its texture. I have worked with dozens and dozens of types of wood, and briar is undoubtedly the finest textured wood I have seen.

Wood's texture comes into play because the pipe community -- makers, vendors, smokers, collectors, etc. -- they all frown on putties, petroleum distillates, and so on.

So if you can do a straight carnauba wax -- or carnauba with a smidgen of shellac underneath -- and get a reasonably smooth, glossy finish, that's definitely the way to go.

Another factor closer to the top than weight would be durability. Can it handle casual and even some careless handling without breaking? Will it resist charring? Etc.

So let's see here. I guess if I had to rank things, I personally would rank them:

#1 Toxicity
#2 Sustainability (Yes, we're only using small pieces of wood, but if I personally have a choice, I prefer to use materials that we can use without driving them to extinction. But that's just me.)
#3 Durability
#4 Smokability (Can you smoke the stuff without experiencing any overt flavors or smells?)
#5 Natural Beauty (could be #6 on the list)
#6 Texture (could be #5 on the list)
#7 Overall Saleability (this is a kind of a catchall factor)
#8 Availability
#9 Price
#18 Weight

Something like that, anyway.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Well put, Robert! I agree with you on all aspects.

But, with all other aspects being equal: will the exact same pipe made from say a plateaux with beautifull straight grain or birdseye, be lighter than one from ebauchon?

Just curious, maybe some of you pro's can shed some light?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Given two pipes, identical in all respects save for the cut of wood (ebauchon vs plateaux)? Maybe.

The problem here is not that ebauchon is heavier then plateaux, or the other way around. The problem is that briar is a natural product, and the density of a specific block of wood can vary substantially from another. The difference between ebauchon and plateaux is simply the way it was cut off of the burl, there's no fundamental difference in the wood itself.

Take a nice size burl and cut off a plateaux block. Now, from the same burl, in the same place, or as close to it as you can, cut off a block in ebauchon shape. Now make both into identical pipes. When you're finished, they should weigh pretty close to exactly the same. (discounting chances of flaws, etc)

Does lighter (less dense) wood possess superior smoking characteristics? Not necessarily. However, some folks swear to it. I think that a lot of it is perception. And marketing. A good smoking pipe depends mostly on the craftsmanship of the maker - making sure all the holes line up, and getting the airway and slot right.

Now, *quality* of wood can have a big effect. If you have poor wood and make a pipe from it, it can be a horrible smoke. But that is largely dependent upon taste, not really how light it is.

I think that, maybe, a lot of this perception might be due to the fact that some inferior wood, due to poor processing, actually *is* heavier. This is due to an excess of resins and moisture being left in the wood by the processor. But note, I said "some" wood. I have some algerian briar here that has close, dense, straight and beautiful grain that makes pipes that are wonderful smokers with zero off-flavors - and is heavier block for block than some absolutely inferior stuff sitting on the shelf next to it.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions if I was unclear anywhere in there.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Charl, I was just snooping around the internet and found another pipemaker in South Africa. Unfortunately I couldn't find his name, but he does have a website. I had found it one other time, but it took me until this morning to stumble upon it again.

Anyway, he has one page dedicated to pipes made from African woods. And he talks about those woods here. Sounds to me like the Dalbergia Melanoxylon, or African Blackwood, might have a lot of potential.
Frank

Post by Frank »

pierredekat wrote:Charl, I was just snooping around the internet ....
Tut, tut, tut.... Robert, Robert, Robert.... I'll have to make you stay after school and write out this entire website: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main ... uth_Africa :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Frank wrote:
pierredekat wrote:Charl, I was just snooping around the internet ....
Tut, tut, tut.... Robert, Robert, Robert.... I'll have to make you stay after school and write out this entire website: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main ... uth_Africa :twisted:
:oops:

I knew I had seen that somewhere. So his name is Ebenhart Botha. Well now I know.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I like to use my hands, even when I smoke my pipe. For me the lighter pipes are in a quicker rotation, because my jaw appreciates them. So if comparing two blocks and all other "woody" criteria being equal, for me, the lighter wood is superior. But... I can imagine that the more dense the wood, the more fire-resistant. That really shouldn't be an issue though, unless you like to cigar torch your dottle.
Charl

Post by Charl »

kbadkar, seems like you and me like to smoke the same way. I'm also one of those "clenchers"!

And thanks for Ebenharts website Frank and pierredekat, I know his pipes.
Some interesting woods he uses!