Cold Temps

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Cold Temps

Post by bscofield »

My garage is out in my un-heated workshop. It has been around 10 degrees here at night lately. Are there any adverse effects that I should be expecting from either my gear or some of the materials we commonly use? I have a few stems with the delrin already glued into them out there, a few blocks that are roughed in... things like that. Anyone have any experience? Or will I be OK letting it warm up gradually with the weather?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

It's not been as cold here, Ben, but it's getting down into the teens at night.

I noticed that my shellac and epoxy both act a little funny. Had to bring them in the house to dry/cure in a nice warm spot.

Other than that , everything's ok, except my hands get cold.

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

un-heated and yours till working out in that? wow... you da man!

So no ill effects on already glued items?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

bscofield wrote:un-heated and yours till working out in that? wow... you da man!

So no ill effects on already glued items?
Well, this kind of cold is unusual here. Normally lows are in the 40s. Once the sun hits the garage door, it makes a nice radiant heat panel. :D

I haven't seen any bad effects on anything I've been working on.

Rad
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

I wish :wink: I could tell you if the cold effects your shop, but the coldest it ever gets over here is 65 degrees. :D

Jaden
hazmat

Re: Cold Temps

Post by hazmat »

bscofield wrote:My garage is out in my un-heated workshop. It has been around 10 degrees here at night lately. Are there any adverse effects that I should be expecting from either my gear or some of the materials we commonly use? I have a few stems with the delrin already glued into them out there, a few blocks that are roughed in... things like that. Anyone have any experience? Or will I be OK letting it warm up gradually with the weather?
How did you fit a garage into your workshop?? :)

Before I moved a bunch of my main operations up to a different, warmer area, I was in my freezing basement. I never noticed any problems with the wood or stem material while working on it down there, but I always hauled the work upstairs to the heat when I was finished for the day.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Glues, shellacs, and lacquers should be brought indoors as the temp dives. Also, I find it's best to keep the pipes in progress indoors as well, to try and keep them in a stabler temperature and humidity environment that's closer to what their normal habitat will be, for better long-term fitting of mortise joins and seamless stem-to-shank transitions. FWIW!
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'll just echo what's already been said - bring your work into a warmer environment when you're finished in the workshop. Everything that needs to dry or cure will go slowly, or fail in interesting ways, in the cold. Never mind the strange stuff that can happen in joint fittings (like mortis and tenon) when you leave stuff in the cold. Everything expands and contracts in the heat and cold, and things expand/contract to different degrees and at different rates, so it's best to try and stabilize the temp.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I keep my epoxy in the house other than that I have made pipes in frigging cold assed weather. I did buy a kerosene heater. Those ones that look like over sized white lanterns. It works really well.
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

Hey Ben,

Just move to Hawaii :lol: . That way you don't have to worry about the cold. :wink:

Jaden
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

hlp808 wrote:Hey Ben,

Just move to Hawaii :lol: . That way you don't have to worry about the cold. :wink:

Jaden
Done deal!