workshop

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
buster

workshop

Post by buster »

Is there anything that would hinder me from putting a workshop next to my furnace and water heater such as flammable items or dust. I know real dumb question right. Just curious because it seems like the only place in my house to set up shop.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nope. That's exactly where my workshop is. Just be sure you have good dust collection and filtration.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Alcohol based stains are flammable, and there will definitely be plenty of dust.

Rad
buster

alcohol

Post by buster »

oops I posted this in the wrong forum. Are the alcohol based stains enough to cause a fire, I wonder.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Just don't store anything flammable in close proximity if you can avoid doing so. For dust, if you have a shop-vac handy, they work nicely until you can get something designed more for that work.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you have large amounts of alcohol in open containers, it could pose a risk due to flamable vapor. Just make sure your lids are on tight, and you store them as far from sources of ignition as you can. Mine are on a shelf about 12 feet from the furnace and water heater.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I have also learned from experience that vulcanite shavings will burn about like gasoline.

Don't let them collect in a pile somewhere.

Rad
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

RadDavis wrote:I have also learned from experience that vulcanite shavings will burn about like gasoline.

Rad
:shock: That's good information to have. I may have to leave the office early to go home and take care of my mountain of vulcanite cuttings. :lol:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Rad is so right. It will flash just like gasoline!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

hazmat wrote:
RadDavis wrote:I have also learned from experience that vulcanite shavings will burn about like gasoline.

Rad
:shock: That's good information to have. I may have to leave the office early to go home and take care of my mountain of vulcanite cuttings. :lol:
I would definitely do that.

I had a very scary shop fire a couple of years ago. My dust collector shorted at the plug when I turned it on, sending a little piece of molten brass into a pile of vulcanite shavings behind my lathe. By the time I got the extiguisher and got it out, all of my power cords had burned up, and the shop was full of thick nasty smelling smoke. The flames were reaching about half way up the wall.

Rad
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

All gone and shop-vac will be empited regularly after stem work. Thanks for the info, Rad.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

They also taste like shit when they fly into your burning pipe whilst turning.