Frugal Yankee or Cheapskate

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ckr

Frugal Yankee or Cheapskate

Post by ckr »

Was trucking through my favorite woodworking supply store and I saw something that interested me. Anyone else get these urges? It was a three inch sanding disk of hard rubber, tapered inward, and had a velcro pad to hold theses new wave sanding disks. The kit was $55 and had a bunch of grits I wasn’t interested in and then I came across just the 3 inch disk by itself, $49 and some change. As much as I like all things rubber, this just didn’t sit right. I mean come on, rubber, velcro and a quarter inch piece of metal rod. I don’t think I am cheap but I just could not see the value.

So I picked up the backing pads along with the grits I was interested in and moved on. On the way home I stopped in a craft store and for $7 got enough adhesive backed velcro to make a dozen of these. Other materials that were just lying around the house were ¾ inch oak (any wood would do) and a 3/8 x 3 inch bolt with washer and nuts.

So I cut a piece of oak and put it on the drill press and made a hole, put the block on the vise and pounded the square section of bolt into the wood.

A bit of lathe work and I had a 3 inch tapered sanding disk. Put some wood putty (pipe makers best friend :wink: ) to fill where the bolt is and slap on the velcro.

How does it work? Nice, especially into the shank/stummel. So much better than round files and strips of sand paper. For me, it is like coming out of the dark ages. :shock:

Fume in pace, ckr
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I vote "frugal yankee" - but that might be because *am* one.... :D

Nice reality check, CKR. If the tool you need is too expensive, or doesn't exist, find a way to *make* it. What was it a jeweler friend of mine once said? Something like "A true craftsman makes his own tools.", or along those lines.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

You needn't call me frugal or even parsimonious, I'm perfectly comfortable being called cheapskate. If I can make the item rather than purchasing it, that's the route for me. The added advantage of making it yourself is that you can tailor the item to your liking.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice! I may try that myself. I'd been eyeing those disks for a while, but it sure seemed like a steep price!
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

You know the value of a dollar..that makes you "thrifty" :lol: :D
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Or you can do a little looking and find the backing pad for $10.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... ders?Args=

I also have no problem either adapting another tool for my purpose or making something that will do the job.

Nice job on that sanding disc!
ckr

Post by ckr »

A sawbuck is more what I would have expected the cost to be. Thanks for shattering my delusion and here I thought I had saved some big bucks. :cry:

If that one was at the store I would have bought it rather than made one, but then I would not have found out how easy it is. Having done so, if I ever lose this one I would still just chuck up another piece of wood. How else am I gonna get rid of all the bolts I have lying around, not to mention the adhesive velcro.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

y'know, that is a great way to make a french wheel for just a few bucks!