Finally I have made a new pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
achduliebe

Finally I have made a new pipe

Post by achduliebe »

Well it has been a while, but I have finally completed another pipe. Let me know what you guys think, I know the pics are not great. Hopefully I will get some time this weekend to take some better pictures of this pipe.

Thanks for looking!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice! I love the shape of the stem. Very ovid. A cool effect. The grain looks great budd! Great pipe all around. Did you hand cut the stem?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it.

As for the stem, yes it is hand cut.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Very nice Bryan! I like it. It has a lot of character (and I don't mean that in the "awww too bad it has a big crack" sort way either :lol: )!

I'd say it's too bad that it looks like you didn't have the room to flare the sides out like you did the front and back of the pipe. The only other thing I'd say is that I think the stem could have had a similar shape as it does, but would have looked better if it was flush with the extension.

But seriously, the lines are quite nice. They are very complimenting to each other. I especially like the lines and curves on the top and bottom the bowl around the shank! Also, the shank & extension appear to be curved in the last picture, which is a nice touch.

NICE BLOCK OF WOOD, BTW!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Ben, yes I wish I could have squeezed out that flair all the way around the bottom but it just wasn't happening. The block was just too narrow. It definately turned out to be a fine block of wood.

Oh and your comment about the stem being flush with the shank, that was I had originally planned. Can't tell you where I went of course on that, I don't think that was a deliberate act just kind of happened.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the words.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

HI,

This is a nice piece of wood and the stain looks good too.
Overall, the stummel looks pretty nice, though a bit unbalanced by the lack of side flair mentioned above.
The shank addition and stem seem over large to me - a " tail wagging the dog" effect,
as it were.
Too me, the pipe would work much better if the shank/stem were more in a size and mass balance with the stummel proper.
BTW- I was just on your site and saw that blowfish again. As I recall, that was your first blowfish.
That is a really fine effort.

Best to you and all,
Steven Magruder Morrisette
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the comments, they are truly valued. I do agree with the balance issue, after I had the pipe pretty much shaped I show it to a pipe smoker that I work with. He looked at it and told me to take the extension off, trim down the shank and put a longer stem on it. I looked at it and thought that the stummel would be too heavy for that approach, but I do agree with what you said. I do think I could have trimmed down the shank, extension and stem a bit.

Thanks again for your thoughts and your compliment on the blowfish. Everytime I get ready to start another pipe my wife tells me that I need to do another blowfish. Of course she does not understand that you can't just grab any old piece of wood and pull a blowfish out of it.

-Bryan
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Great to see another pipe from you, Bryan! And this is wonderful piece! Fantastic grain with a beautiful stain and finish to set it off. I simply love the stummel! I too would like to see it with a thinner extension that still retains the flare, and a thinner longer stem, but something about it makes me think it would look great smoked by a heavily bearded stocky dwarf just like it is.

Nice work, Bryan!

I've got to get after a volcano soon.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Scott,

Thanks for the compliments. It feels good to have another pipe complete finally...it has been a while since I have been focused in the workshop.

I actually got to start working on the next pipe tonight. It appears that it is going to be quite a challenging endeavor.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Okay, I finally got around to taking some more pictures of this pipe. Here are a couple and at the bottom is a link to the page dedicated to this pipe on my web site.

check out the link below to see all of the pics on my web site.
http://www.quinnpipes.com/Pipe12/index.html
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Lemme tell you, that blowfish is even more impressive in person. I smoke it regularly. The shape and feel of the pipe are just awesome. The edges are so sharp, and the curves very organic. I have to say that I agree with your wife here: you should make another one.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Nick, I am very glad you are happy with it. I will definately be doing another as soon as I come across the right piece of wood.

By the way, I haven't forgot about the stamp. Still have not ordered one, when I do get one I will let you know.

Thanks again Nick.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

No worries bud. I had forgotten about the stamp. LOL!

Let me know,

Nick