My first pipe with a lathe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

My first pipe with a lathe

Post by bscofield »

Not my first pipe all together, but my first one with a lathe.

After a HUGE learning experience in doing my first handcut stem, an unfortunate stamp placement, some rustication... she was done!

here's some pics:

RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Wow, Ben!! That's a great looking pipe!

The stem appears to be placed a bit low in the shank in the side views, but other than that, it's a very nice looking pipe.

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Thanks Rad. the stem placement is the main reason i'm not selling this one. That and it turned out pretty nice otherwise so i'm delighted to keep it as my "return to pipemaking" present to myself... that and it was my bday the other day :)
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

You know, I'm thinking the off-center appearance is just an optical illusion created by the fact that the shank is triangular.

And awesome pipe! You know it just never ceases to amaze me, the creativity of so many pipemakers these days. I really love this one because, to my eyes anyway, it just seems so organic, you know.
jeff

Post by jeff »

VERY nice Ben! What a step up for you. :)

The rustication is quite interesting and would be great to see in person. The planes were all worked out quite well and brings a good deal of unity ot the piece. I agree with Rad's comment and would add that the fishtail looks a bit dramatic to me. Otherwise this is a fine pipe and a wonderful "first" pipe now that you're back up and running.

Jeff
Ray Cover

Post by Ray Cover »

Ben,

As a guy who favors bulldogs I ahve to say that is one of the sexiest bulldogs I have seen in my limitted experience. Most bulldogs I see are pudgy for lack of a better word. This one is sleek and sexy. I really like this.

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving
Ray Cover

Post by Ray Cover »

Ben,

Do mind if I save your pics for my own future reference? I really do like this.

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving
magruder

Post by magruder »

Ben,

That is a really sleek looking pipe. I agree with Ray, it is sexy and that is rare in a Bulldog.
I would echo Jeff's comments too, about the planes and rustication.
I like the flare on the shank, though. Stem placement is too bad. I know what that feels like.
All in all - very,very nice. Congratulations.

Best,
Steven Magruder Morrisette
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow Ben! That's a really nice pipe. I echo Rad and Jeff's comments in terms of the stem and it's low placement, but asside from that, this is a great looking pipe, and a really fine bulldog! I can't wait to see more. Way to go and welcome back!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Karol

Post by Karol »

Ray Cover wrote:...one of the sexiest bulldogs...
completely agree, very nice pipe. love the effect on the rim btw.

/k
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Thanks Guys!

The stem placement was disheartening... fortunately, it does not take a whole lot away from the pipe.

Jeff, I really like this rustication because it keeps the shape of a pipe VERY well. The way I did it in beginning it was quite predictable and boring, but then I started to mix it up between a few different ways and it really mixed it up into something I like.

Ray, of course you can save the pics!

Ben
marks

Post by marks »

Ben, that is very nice.
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

very nice ben

so tell us what do you think of your new lathe and what tools did you use to turn the bowl or did you turn the bowl- also the stem what tools did you use to turn the stem was that done also in your new lathe.

in another thread (a whole lot of shaking going on) you were asking about tools- what tools did you get.

very very nice pipe indeed well done

jim
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Thanks Jim!
jbacon wrote:so tell us what do you think of your new lathe and what tools did you use to turn the bowl or did you turn the bowl- also the stem what tools did you use to turn the stem was that done also in your new lathe.
I like the new lathe. I can totally see what the better points are about having a metal lathe... But I like what I have to work with. I first purchased a mid-grade skew chisel ($35) which I was doing "OK" with... I think I did the whole top part of the bowl with that. Then, in between the bowl and stem I got a CHEAP set of chisels and used the gauge chisel on the stem. I really like the difference and could not have done the stem very easily without that chisel.
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

Damn, That's a nice pipe Man. :D

BTW, you going to the Chicago show this year?

I'll be there on Wed. :D

Jaden
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

hlp808 wrote:Damn, That's a nice pipe Man. :D

BTW, you going to the Chicago show this year?

I'll be there on Wed. :D

Jaden

Unfortunately not... did you get my email?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I love the pipe Ben.

For me, the shape is very appealing, love the stem work and I am not usually a big fan of partial rustication but I love this one.

Very nice.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com