Result from a 5 dollar block.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Rad, how are you securing a 1/16th inch bit in your dremel?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hey Joel,

I bought one of those tiny little chucks for my dremel at Home Depot. They're much nicer to use, as they take every size of bit, and there's no hunting for the right collet all the time.

rad
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Thanks Rad. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I'll pick one up next time I'm there. Sounds handy.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:Absolutely! My point was that a 1/16" bit isn't "huge". It's what most pipe makers use. You seemed to be implying that a 1/16" bit is the wrong tool for the job, and it's not.
I agree 100%. However, if a learning pipe maker is shooting for the stars and trying to get a .150" bit with a 1/16" slot, they may (I say, may) be sanding through more stems than they finish.

I appologize if that came off the wrong way.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tano

Post by Tano »

Kurt your point is very logical. I also think that few newbies are actually achieving a .150 thickness, including myself, with a 1/16 bit. I might get it, but the unknown, and fear of break through makes me accept a slightly thicker one.
By the way do you break many 1mm bits?
All the best,
Tano
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

However, if a learning pipe maker is shooting for the stars and trying to get a .150" bit with a 1/16" slot, they may (I say, may) be sanding through more stems than they finish.
Yes, they will in the beginning, and this is part of the process of learning to make pipes. I've sanded through stems and shanks, blasted through shanks, sanded into tobacco chambers, etc. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

The thing is that some buyers at shows will take an extra fluffy B.J.Long pipe cleaner and push it through the button end for the pipe cleaner "test". Mine will take it with a little bit of effort, and I use a 1/16" bit. If I reduced that slot by 30%, I don't think it would.

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

Rad and Kurt,

If I might submit an opinion based on my experience here, I'd have to agree with Rad. While I use a #57 bit for the slot (close to 1mm, but the slots end up closer to 1/16" after the filing and finishing work I do inside.) I used to take pride in having very small slots (i.e. 1mm) but you'll never get a fluffy cleaner through one, and as you said, that is a dealbreaker for some clients. In fact, if you can't get a cleaner through the stem, it should be a dealbreaker for anyone. So, especially for the beginners, I'd recommend 1/16. It's easy to get at least .150" thickness behind the button with some practice, and probably thinner. Anything below that is perfectly acceptable. In fact, bits much thicker than that are preferred by some.

One other advantage of the 1/16" bit is that you'll break fewer of them while you practice. :)

But, as we can clearly see by the opinions expressed in this thread, YMMV.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:The thing is that some buyers at shows will take an extra fluffy B.J.Long pipe cleaner and push it through the button end for the pipe cleaner "test". Mine will take it with a little bit of effort, and I use a 1/16" bit. If I reduced that slot by 30%, I don't think it would.
Hmmm. I do this as well before calling a stem finished, and I don't have any trouble inserting a pipe cleaner into the button. Granted, I don't try to use a 12-guage barrel mop to test it, just the "Long's Extra Absorbant Pipe Cleaners" that I get in big roll-packs.

Dunno. Maybe my finished size is closer to yours that I think it is.

Clearly there can only be one resolution to this issue. I need both you and Jeff to send me a pipe "for evaluation purposes", and I'll gladly send you each one of mine. :wink:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

KurtHuhn wrote:Clearly there can only be one resolution to this issue. I need both you and Jeff to send me a pipe "for evaluation purposes", and I'll gladly send you each one of mine. :wink:
Sure! I accept MC, Visa and Discover. ;)
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

A small tip... I've used a 1mm bit for making the v slit as well as the dremmel saw blade for the initial cut..bout in the lathe and with the dremel...

now I drill a 1,5 mm hole about 1.5 cm deep at the button end of the stem in the lathe and do the v slit freehand with a 1,5mm drill bit in a cordless powerdrill.
Advantages over the dremel: it has variable speed and is much much slower Working giving you much more control

Advantages over the lathe: you see exactly what you are doing

This has improved the quality of my slits wich end up at about 1.7mm in height and will accept a fluffy cleaner and taken down the labourus time with files to get the slit from 1mm and up to the desired height..

just a small peice of advice that might improve
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Tano wrote:. . . make sure that your drill press has lots of vertical room . . .
Amen and amen to that! When I started, I grabbed for an inexpensive bench drill press, and boy have I regretted it ever since! Floor mounted is the way to go on this item! . . . it'll probably be YEARS before I can sneak another drill press past SWMBO: "Hey, didn't you just buy a. . . " is her favorite comment these days.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:Clearly there can only be one resolution to this issue. I need both you and Jeff to send me a pipe "for evaluation purposes", and I'll gladly send you each one of mine. :wink:
Sure! I accept MC, Visa and Discover. ;)
What's that joke about the pipe maker not being able to afford even his own pipes? :?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Kurt, I don't think that's a joke! :shock: