Pipe #7 finished

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Heinz_D

Pipe #7 finished

Post by Heinz_D »

Hello,

I just finished my pipe no. 7:

Image Image

The pictures arn't very good, but the reflection of the light results from a very glossy surfae on the bowl... :D

Finish and stemwork is made after some tips from Rainer Barbi - I met him at the German Pipemakers Show this month.

The pipe is about 145 mm long, 50 mm width, 46 mm high. The stem is 52 mm long (visible lenght).

Tobacco chamber is 22 mm in diameter and 40 mm deep, diameter of the shank is 12 mm.

The finish is black/mahagoni contrast stain, nitrocellulose filler and carnubawax polish. Nice cross grain at the sides and very nice bird eyes on the bottom! Only two little spots which are lost in the contrast stain...

Some comments about shape, stem or anything else? :roll:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Heinz, I hope my pipes get better as fast when I finally get going again. Very nice! Super finish. Nitrocellulose? That rings a bell, but all my brain comes up with at this time of day is a fuzzy image of some kind of breakfast food. (Gee, edible pipes. What a concept!)
flix

Post by flix »

Heinz,
As always, a gorgeous pipe. Well done!
--Michael
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Very nice Heinz! I wish I could get my stummels to have that wet look...I can get them to shine but not like that.

Great work, nice color, nice grain, love the shape and the stem is different but very cool.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

mahaffy wrote:Nitrocellulose? That rings a bell, but all my brain comes up with at this time of day is a fuzzy image of some kind of breakfast food. (Gee, edible pipes. What a concept!)
In the US you should look for "sanding sealer". That's just about the last realm of nitrocellulose based finishes in this country anymore.
forrest

Post by forrest »

Fantastic pipe, I like the finish and the stem is great. You do very good work.
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Thank you for your kind comments, guys!

@ achduliebe: I grind down with 600 abrasive cloth, polish with steel wool Gr. 000, buff with a brown kind of wax (from DanPipe) and then with a clean buffing wheel - sometimes I use a coat of carnauba wax, but it's still not necessary and I didn't on this stem. :wink:

@ Kurt: Yes, it's sanding sealer, but ther are two kinds: With shellack based on alcohol and with microcristalline nitrocellose based on nitro thinner - I used the last one on this pipe! It gives a much more glossy finish than shellack and Danish Oil (wich I used on my pipes before).
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Here in the US, they have to label the stuff as having nitrocellulose in it, so yeah, you should look for that on the packaging. But most places won't list them on the websites as "nitrocellulose sanding sealer" versus "Shellac sanding sealer". You have to look at the packaging rather carefully.

But, at least in my experience, the Shellac version is pretty rare in the US. Shellac is pretty much identified as such, with no mention of sanding sealer on the packaging. Wherease, if a product is called "sanding sealer", odds are it's nitrocellulose based - at least in the US.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Kurt, that's interesting... In Germany I bought "sanding sealer" from the same factory which produces "Danish Oil" and it is shellac based on alkohol... :oops:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi Heinz

Lovely pipe, amazing finish, I agree it does shine more than a shellac finish.

Regards.
Tano
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Heinz_D wrote:Kurt, that's interesting... In Germany I bought "sanding sealer" from the same factory which produces "Danish Oil" and it is shellac based on alkohol... :oops:
It's a way that manufacturers and craftsmen are able to skirt the (rather draconian) laws as they pertain to paint and other finishes. The sanding sealer, for whatever reason, is the only common place to find nitrocellulose - though it is tintable to make it paint, and thinnable to make it sprayable. That way, old car guys can still use nitrocellulose paints even though they aren't sold in the US anymore (at least accordingto my father in law).

Todd, if you poke in on this thread, do know if that's the case? I seem to recall you've done some autobody work....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com