Why did you start smoking a pipe?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
custom300

Why did you start smoking a pipe?

Post by custom300 »

Okay, several seemed to like the "Age of the Pipemakers Poll", and asked for more. Here is another poll to find out why you started smoking a pipe. If you mark "Other" please post your specific reason. Several categories may apply to you, so pick the one that most describes your reason for picking up a pipe.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I smoked a cigar here or there and one day it just hit me that I should check into pipes. Thought I might like it. So I bought a basket pipe while on vacation. That night after the rest of the family was in bed, I went out on the balcony with my new pipe and tobacco and fired it up. Been at it ever since. That was about 3 years ago.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
obie

Post by obie »

My first father's day was coming up, and I wanted a gift that would be fitting for a new dad. A lot of thought and conversations with friends led me to ask for a pipe. I've never really been around pipe smokers, but I knew it was something I wanted to try, and for me it represented embracing what it means to be a father and a man, to have responsibility and the need to make wise decisions. I like cigars occasionally but they're too brash - the pipe is contemplative, slow-paced and thoughtful. And even a little offbeat and anachronistic.

My wife bought me that first pipe, and it was like I found a missing piece of myself. It just became this natural outlet for who I am and how I tick.
custom300

Post by custom300 »

My first father's day was coming up, and I wanted a gift that would be fitting for a new dad
WHen was your first father's day?
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
obie

Post by obie »

Three years ago. Yes, I'm still a relative n00b.
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Congratulations! It is an awesome privilege and responsibility to be a father. I have 3 boys who are in college now and a 12 year old daughter. Well, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but God be with you as you raise your child(ren).
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
obie

Post by obie »

Thanks. I agree, and He definitely is. I've got two daughters now (2-1/2 and 10 weeks) and they're both a ridiculous blessing.

OK, back to the thread. </hijack>
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I always had liked the thought of pipes but never got around to trying them, which at 22 isn't like I waited that long really. Last Christmas I thought I would make my tobacco loving brother a pipe (I thought it was more personal than some cigars and figured how hard can it be right? :cry: )

After I fell in love with pipe making (which I'm pretty sure happened somewhere between opening the box with my first chunk of briar and reaching in and grabbing said chunk) and graduated from college I thought I should try smoking pipes to better understand what is important about making better pipes. This has all happened over the past 8 months and especially after being at the chicago show, which was awesome, I'm pretty sure I'm hooked for life.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I first picked up a pipe over ten years ago. My dad did smoke a pipe when I was a young kid, but after leaving the Navy he picked up cigs instead (something about no liesure time if I recall). He did, however, always keep them around in a little display rack, and I used to enjoy playing with them. And some time around the time I was 16 he gave of cigs as well.

I suppose it does represent a connection to my dad, but it wasn't why I started. I started smoking a pipe because cigarettes had hit the absolutely unheard of price of $2 a pack!

The deeper connection with my dad came about much later when I started *making* pipes. He's been the recipient of several of my nicer pipes, and he's even been sneaking off to the garage to smoke them!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com