Look Ma..I made a Mashine!!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
geigerpipes

Look Ma..I made a Mashine!!!

Post by geigerpipes »

I have had an idea for a year or so of converting an old industrial sowing machine into a belt sander and now I finally took the time to put it together..

The motor is variable in speed and is controlled by the foot pedal and had been standing at my dads place since the early 80ties...the top arm by the sealing is an adjusted part from labelling machine...It works real well... still need some minor adjustments to make it stable...one of the last things I did was to check if the motor was working, as it had an old 3 phase plug.

Once I got help with exchanging the plug the motor ran real bad.. speed was all over the scale!!! Damn...
After taking it apart and removing 30 years of dust and re greasing, it now purrs like... grandmas old sewing mashine!!! :P

A few pics

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
obie

Post by obie »

Amazing! Be sure to wear protective equipment...

:thumb:
custom300

Post by custom300 »

That is an awesome idea, and well executed.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

That is very cool Love! Nice job, looks good.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Bravo Love, well done!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Nick

Post by Nick »

Way cool buddy!!

I love the idea. The foot pedal must be an excelent feature. I may have to try making one myself!
ckr

Post by ckr »

Originally, those foot pedals were used to drive a large wheel with a round leather strap to spindle of the sewing machine. Later after electricity and motors became more common the electric motor accessory became available for the existing models.

Just thought I would mention it for those engery consious folks out there that may want to also make one.

BTW - Love, excellent example of resourcefulness, but my grandmother would roll over in her grave if I did that to her sewing machine.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
JBW

Post by JBW »

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but here in the US, textile manufacturing has taken such a hit that I have recently seen commercial sewing machines go for $10 - $25 at auctions (when they got a bid at all). :dunno:

Very creative re-use of quality components. :thumb:
Joel
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Wow, now I need to go buy a sewing machine :thumb:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

That's just neat! Hope it works out as you are expecting.

Joel
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Love, I 've been looking at the pics, and I can't see an upright to support the top wheel. Is the wheel and bracket and everything else attached to the ceiling?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Crk: I actually though of using the foot powered version could make a heathy exersice ...FOOTMADE pipes!! :P

Kurt: Actually its only attached to the wall but theres a spring to give it some flex....heres a pic

after playing with it I must say it works fine, takes a while to master the speed with the foot pedal..A fequency modulator would of cource be better (and a lot more expensive) but i love the fact that i can use whatever grit of sandpaper i like with it and for smoothing out after the disk it works great

Best

Love
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's great, Love! There's something extremely satisfying about hacking together your own tools and machines.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Love, at first I was astonished by the length of the belt, stretching on up into the clouds as it does. Then I thought a bit and realized how desirable it would be to be able to slip fingers behind the belt from time to time -- at slow speeds -- for more precise sanding. Very well done!