My newest pipe - the Horn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
achduliebe

My newest pipe - the Horn

Post by achduliebe »

Here is my latest pipe, a horn shape. Here is the low down:

Chamber Diameter: 3/4"
Chamber Depth: 1 1/2"
Length: 5 1/2"
Height: 1 1/2" - 1 3/4"
Pre-carbed bowl
Hand cut ebonite stem with Delrin tenon.

This pipe has just a tad bit of the rough exterior of the burl visible in the very center of the top lip of the bowl. This was done intentionally, basically just to be different. Very cool pipe, I am very pleased with the outcome. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Bryan,
Looks good. As a newbie, I'll have to admit ignorance, nevertheless extreme curiosity, on the horn shape. Have you smoked it? and how does it smoke? It would appear that the design (of all horn designs) would lend itself to burning the top edge of the bowl. If you could provide any insight on this design I would appreciate it.

Anyway, the grain looks really nice. I particularly like the bowl treatment on the bottom (kind of a scoop look). The stem looks very seamless to the shank. Nice work.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
ckr

Post by ckr »

Very nice. it has a lot that appeals to me.

The shape reminds me of something that was on the tube the other night, I was watching orka's getting ready to munch down a sea lion.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Jamie for the compliments, I greatly appreciate them.

As for the horn shape and this pipe in particular, I honestly have never smoked one. I have a couple of people interested in this one, so there is a good chance I will not get to smoke it. If no one picks it up, then I will keep it for myself and report back on the smoking experience. I would think you are correct however, in that there would be a good chance the upper edge of the bowl would be very hot while smoking.

I showed the pipe to someone here at work who is a pipe smoker, but was not familiar with the horn shape. He questioned how it would smoke also. I told him it was a hammock pipe, you have to be laying back in the hammock to smoke this one.

Thanks again for your compliments.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

:lol: I never thought about it that way ckr, but you do have a point. It does have that kind of look about it.

Thanks for the compliment.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

ckr wrote:Very nice. it has a lot that appeals to me.

The shape reminds me of something that was on the tube the other night, I was watching orka's getting ready to munch down a sea lion.
This post reads very curiously if when you hear "tube" you immediately think of the London underground. Having lived in London for a year, I saw some interesting things on the subway, but the above would have been a real shocker :)

Todd
ckr

Post by ckr »

Todd,
ONCE upon a time and a very long time ago and far far away, TV's were made with "Picture Tubes", Guess I have dated myself.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Yes, yes, and yes!

This shape variation frees some un-pipish feeling about it and does not disturb the perception of it being a pipe. This may seem contradictionary, I know. It has – all by the way that the top of the bowl is shaped – a very own appeal which – in it's rather thin dimensions – balances well with the overall compact shape of a horn. Outstanding shape percption without any bling bling added. I love that!
:thumb:
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Wow Alex, Thanks for the gracious compliments! I really appreciate getting a critique from someone with an obviously more refined artistic sense than myself.

Thank you very much, it is greatly appreciated!
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

I agree totally with what I think Alex said. A very attractive and visually captivating pipe.
sethile

Post by sethile »

This is a beautiful pipe. Very unique, and very nicely exectuted! Great work Bryan!

Like your friend at work I find myself wondering how it will smoke. I've not seen many horns (none in person). Most of the pics I've seen of horns I get the idea that the smoking chamber might be more or less veritcal when in smoking position. More so than it would appear will be the case with this one. One pipe of mine tilts a bit too far foward and has had "issues", especially when lighting it. The upper rim is already starting to char a bit, and I think the front side of the rim will eventually burn out on mine. I'll be very interested to hear more about how this works out. Keep us posted...

I always like to see your work, Bryan. Great to see this one, and I'm looking foward to more!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks guys for the great words, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, the pipe will be a bit of a test for me. When this pipe is clenched, the bowl will be at about a 35 to 40 degree cant from vertical. I will keep everybody posted.

Thanks again for all of the nice compliments.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
marks

Post by marks »

Looking at the profile of the pipe, the shape reminds me of a whale. Very cool shape, and very nice execution.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks marks!
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com