new-proto-type sitter:

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bluesmk

new-proto-type sitter:

Post by bluesmk »

This pipe should have hit the wall, but I had to finnish it. Early on I was using the "Marks" method on the chamber after drilling....the top of the rim cracked. I don't know itf it was me, or an internal flaw but I almost smashed it against the wall. Wel here it is, absolutely no stain. I'm going to use a walnut oil finnish on it, something I've been wanting to try for awhile. Well, here goes:Image
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Could you enlighten me as to the Mark's method on the chamber after drilling?
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Yes,
After drilling, I'd stuff cotton balls in the chamber, then use an eyedropper to fill withe everclear. I use to let it sit for a day and remove the balls, and let the chamber dry. Most times the cotton turned a shde of pink/brown, drawing out any leftover tannins. Sincce this crack though I've shyed away from the practice. Hey, while I got your attention, will you be attending the Richmond show?
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Trying everything within my power to go :)

Will ya be there?
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Yes, indeed I will. Look forward to it every year. Hope you and others can make it,great show, great people!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes....PS, what do you think of this piece?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I like the pipe. It's definately "my style." Looking at it right now, if it were mine, I'd sharpen up the shank/stummel joints a bit.

The shank extension is cool. What is it? From the one pic it almost looks like darkened briar...

I like the angle of the bowl vs. the stem angle, but not being able to handle it makes me wonder what it would be like in the mouth to smoke. Maybe a 1/8 bend? You'd know best tho because you got the 3d model in your hands :)

The grain is great and looks well oriented as it gives the pipe some motion, almost spiraling up the bowl. I never would have done anything to such pretty grain, but those growth rings are SO DANG tight! You can't help but wonder at how nice of a blast that would have been :thumb:

Now, all that is of course a "critique." I really like the pipe.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Sorry it took so long....I was oiling that pipe, I wanted it to dry so I could take a pic, to answer accurately. No shank extension as you can see, it's actually a ring of horn that can out a little darker than I wanted...stem is ebonite. As for the angle of the shank, it mimics two Dan Pipes reformed shapes that I own...I used too think the same thing you did....they are very comfortable, I love them. I'm always looking for them on ebay.
The ring grain is why it didn't hit the wall. I'm not staining or blasting because , I'm liable to light it tomorrow mmorning and it'll split down the side. I already spent too much time on it.
Dan
Gabrieli PipesImage
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Hey Ben ...I think I finally got the damn picture thing!!!!! :D
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

bluesmk wrote:Hey Ben ...I think I finally got the damn picture thing!!!!! :D
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
I noticed on the post before this one! :)

Did you get my PM?
marks

Post by marks »

Gosh Dan, sorry your pipe cracked. I've never had that problem with either a bored out block or a pipe in my collection that I was cleaning. From the pictures, I can't tell if the crack continues into the bowl or not. It may have been a slight flaw already in the wood that the swelling and subsequent unswelling from the grain alcohol just highlighted or helped along. Hopefully, this saved you a future product return.

For anyone else attempting this method to draw out tannins, it takes several days for the block to dry sufficiently, so don't try pushing in a tenon into the shank for at least a week, or you may get an unpleasant surprise.

I also don't do this on every block I drill. Just the one's that are too pink, and have obvious tannins in the wood. I have also not had one come back from a customer due to problems. On one such pipe that I did this to, the customer wrote me to tell me how much he liked the way the pipe smoked.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Marks,
I seriously think there was some kind of internal goings on....if you see how tight the grain is on the left side, and look at that crack, it runs with the grain, and no it didn't hit the chamber. coated the bowl this afternoon and a little heavier towars the crack. I'll post tomorrow morning when I have it's maiden smoke. I'm kind of determined to save it now!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
bluesmk

maiden smoke:

Post by bluesmk »

Well, just smoked my morning bowl of PS Twist Flake, with no enlargement of the crack! Right to the bottom, no dottle, almost sucked ash....damn, hope this hold out, it'll be an excent smoker!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Nick

Post by Nick »

Love the shape bud. I love those PipDan pipes too!
flix

Post by flix »

Dan,

Can you have a custom fitted silver cap placed on the top? Not something that has to have a internal diameter that would get burned, just some kind of "ring" to save the pipe before it goes past the point of no return?

That would be interesting to see...
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Interesting.....Like the ring groove cut on bulldogs, but with silver,HMMMM?
Dan
flix

Post by flix »

Yeah, that's it. You won't sell it, just smoke it. Plus that might be a new pipe fashion statement.

If you do it, please show us what you did.

--Michael