Deep bends, just for fun

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JSPipes

Deep bends, just for fun

Post by JSPipes »

Deep bends are tough! The airway enteres the chamber at a steep angle so it works well to stop a little short and open it up with a dremel. There isn't much clearance around the top of the shank where it meets the bowl. And the angle to get the mortise drilled is a little awkward if you want it to pass a pipe cleaner (which this one does)!

Anyway, the rustication came out really well. I also put a lot of time into making a clean line down the side of the bowl/shank junction. The stem is lucite. Hope you like it.

Maybe I should have mentioned this when I posted. My rustication is not done with the same nail tool that many others use. I use a combination of woodcarving chisels (3 different shapes), a 1/4 inch flat chisel, and a tool I made out of a phillips head screwdriver. With the chisels it's basically find the grain and dig in HARD. Then I use the screwdriver tool to break up all the lines.

Last edited by JSPipes on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tano

Post by Tano »

I like the shape very much. It looks like it would be very comfortable to hold on to with the teeth. Like the rustication and particularly the color of the shank. Very nice.
Tano
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice buddy. Good looking pipe. Your rustication really looks bark like. Nice job. How tough was it to do the dremel thing? I'd often wondered about that.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

LOVE this pipe. Very cool. Nice comfortable shape and very earthy rustication. Very nicely done.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Nick, it's not difficult at all. You just have to make sure that the airway is close enough that there's just a skin of briar between it and the bowl or that it just breaks through. Then you can clean it up with a burr or cone.

Joel
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

These types of pipes always seem to draw my attention. I love a nice, finished straight grain as much as the next guy, but a great rustication job just adds something. Beautiful pipe!!