Just anotherone from Germany (#4)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Heinz_D

Just anotherone from Germany (#4)

Post by Heinz_D »

Just finished my pipe no. 4 this afternoon. A completely new way for me: Stem from premade acryl, but changed for my needs and finish without stain but Danish Oil and highglass polisching with carnauba:

A little bit oil has run into the bowl, so it looks like some issues, but its only the darker oil. I think I'll grid it off tomorrow... Comments are welcome and needed for further improvement... :wink:

Greetings,

Heinz
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Nice finish on the pipe! Great grain orientation. The one thing I don't like about it, (personal preference) I don't think the color of the stem works with the light colored pipe. Needs more contrast, either dark stain on the stummel or a darker stem.

Excellent #4 though!

David
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I really like the shape of the stummel! Nice job.

The stem looks like it tapers out just a little from where it joins the shank. Is that my imagination? I would like to see the lines of the shank continued into the stem as far as it goes until the cut for the saddle bit starts. As it is now, it looks kinda like a really wide V.

I also like a little more definition at the shank/bowl junction. But that's personal.

Very nice.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

That is a beautiful piece of briar for sure. You've done a nice job of carving to show off the wood's grain.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Thank you so far for your comments! :wink:

@ David: I formed the stem just befor I thought about staining... At the end I decided to leave the wood unstained for the great grain. So it seems to be too less contrast from the shank to the stem, but in natur it looks very nice (for me). I tried to hold a black stem on the shank and it looked as something too "normal" and so I left the amber stem in place... Cumberland would perhaps be the right colored stem, but I haven't any at this time (just ordered). Also it was a compromise because usally I cut the stems myself from rods - but in former times purchased materials want also to be used at time... :D

@Joel: You're right, the stem tapers off and I wanted to do so. It's indeed a very wide V but all drill holes are straight from the bit to the bowl! The diameter from the saddle to the shank decreases only about 1 mm!

The shank/bowl junction is one of my problems... But the pictures don't show that ther is a rounding from the shank to the bowls bottom. This relativise it when your looking from the bit on the bowl. On the next one I want to have a special look for this problem, because the shank/bowl junction often looks to hard on my pipes so far - but remember, it's just no. 4. :wink:

Thanks and Greetings,

Heinz
Karol

Post by Karol »

Beauty. The grain and the match with shape is exceptional. I like black stems but that's just my personal preference. I'm sure the pipe will darken very nicely in use.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Heinz I find that to be a very nice shape! And nice finish too. Another personal preference call, I don't like acrylic... but that's subjective. When I look at the pipe as a smoker, I really like it. When I look at it to critique it, the reverse taper from the stem/shank junction on catches my eye as being "off." Not pronounced enough, IMO.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Heinz, now that's a pretty pipe! Lovely grain blending well with the shape. And the yellow bit? So big deal; I, too, jumped with both feet and bought a bunch of stems when I decided I wanted to make pipes, and my budget and my accountant (my wife) are both agreed that I'll use as many as I can. And for a lovely pipe like that, I could certainly learn to live with a yellow stem! VERY nice work.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'll just echo what others have said here. Very nice pipe. Great grain orientation. I like the stem color, but the taper bugs me.

Keep up the great work!
sethile

Post by sethile »

Amazing for #4 Heinz! Congratulations! The grain and your shape orientation to set it off are wonderful! I aggree with the comments on the stem and shank/bowl transition, but your overall implimentation on this is excellent, especially for one so new to the craft.

Very inspiring! Scott
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
forrest

Post by forrest »

I think its a great looking pipe. sorry i cant say much more than that. This is my first post and i havent made my first pipe yet. Im still studying. I have looked the pictures over and over and im still trying to figure out what taper is everyone talking about. Can anyone explaine to a new and future pipe maker.
ckr

Post by ckr »

Nicely done, I'd smoke it in a minute - and the yellow stem is fine with me.