My First Pipe (first posting attempt)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tano

My First Pipe (first posting attempt)

Post by Tano »

Here is the first pipe I made. Comments welcome...

mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Tano, for a first that's awfully nice. As a beginner myself, I should leave the critiques to the pros, but you will have noticed yourself that the stem next to the shank doesn't look quite smooth. Was it your post a while ago about having some trouble in that area? Like the rustication, though, and aside from that one small area the stem turned out very well. Nice job.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Not a bad looking first. The issue at the stem/stummel junction can be resolved by shaping with the stem attached. Just looks like a little rounding happened. Been there done that...you even have to watch it sometimes with red tripoli. I have shaped a stummel with the stem attached then removed the stem to buff it with red tripoli. What do you know, I put them stem back in the stummel and bam...round off on the stem. It can happen very easily.

Pipe looks good otherwise. The rustication is very interesting, the polish on the stem looks sweet. The bit, from what I can see, looks pretty good too.

Nice job for the first, from this amateur's point of view. :thumb:
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Very nice first pipe Tano, very interesting rustication. I think some of the stem/shank problems may come from the taper on the shank. Difficult to sand from a tapered to flat surface. Nice pipe though!

David
Tano

Post by Tano »

Thanks for the comments Guys. You were all bang on about the stem and shank.
Tano
p.s. It has been a while since this first pipe. Since the I have made saveral others, which I will post for comments. The reason I haven't done it sooner is that, I've only learned how to post pictures last nite ( thanks to my son).
These kids know so much more about computers than this old guy.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

You know, somewhere at the back of my mind -- or the general area where that would be if I still had one that worked -- was a "Gee, I could have sworn Tano was further along than his first" kind of a feeling. Not a real thought; I don't have those any more. But definitely a feeling.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Yes John, the agony of not knowing how to post pics has been going on for a long time. I thought all along that I needed a web page like some pipemakers that sell on the net.
The other day I mentioned my frustration to my son..."oh dad there is a public sit were you can upload your pics, format the size, then copy/paste, them on your forum isn't that great?"
Ohhhhhhhhhh!! ignorance is not bliss.
Tano