Lucky number 13!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

got a question

on the stem/shank junction(and i think this will only work on round shanks/stems) has anyone turned (hand turned or on a metal lathe)
the stem attached to the stummel. i am going to try this one day but if you have the shank shaped close and the lucite turned close to the dim of the shank and the just shave the bit and the shank together on a lathe it seems the junction would be very smooth. you would not have to turn the whole shank but just shave the juntion on a lathe

jim
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

I normally do turn the stem and shank at the same time on my wood lathe. Didn't on this one due to a miscalculation moving the tool rest and knocked the stummel out of alignment. Two things to watch out for when turning the stem and shank at the same time. If you use a live center on the tailstock to support the stem, don't use much pressure or you'll make the hole drilled in the button end of the stem bigger. Also, the stem will turn a little in the morise if you try to remove too much material at once, not a major problem but can cause the cutting tool to skip.