Oak & Antler Tampers

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PapaDuke

Oak & Antler Tampers

Post by PapaDuke »

Being out of Briar and not one to sit still I figured I'd make Tampers!

I've lready sold one of the Deer Antler ones for $15.00 and found out that Oak is a pain in the butt to work with! It stinks when you sand it and lord the poors in that wood! What a pain. I need to get some Pen Blanks of other woods.

All siad, it gave me something to do while I await more wood,
So here they are..

I'm making some now out of Oak with Antler tips.
Their drying as we speak.
bvartist

Re: Oak & Antler Tampers

Post by bvartist »

PapaDuke wrote:Being out of Briar and not one to sit still I figured I'd make Tampers!

I've lready sold one of the Deer Antler ones for $15.00 and found out that Oak is a pain in the butt to work with! It stinks when you sand it and lord the poors in that wood! What a pain. I need to get some Pen Blanks of other woods.
Hey PapaDuke

If you would be interested, I might be persuaded to send you some other woods to try. (If the price is right!) Actually I can probably save you a little and you wouldn't have to buy a large quantity. I have zebrawood, bubinga, bocote, brazilian cherry, mahogany, walnut and maple. I buy them in 2" x 2" x 30" so I can custom cut just about any size you want up to 2" square. Normal pen blanks are 3/4" x 3/4" x 5". If you are interested, I can figure a price and let you know!

David
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Great David.
That's exactly what (or who) I was looking for.

I spent the night surfing eBay for some of the same wood you mentioned.
Then this morning I was bouncing back and forth to this board trying to see what woods you guys have enjoyed working with that didn't kill you? :P

I have to be honest, it's also for adding to the shank of some pipes. So the 2 inch size you're offering is perfect for the pipes but a little big for the Tampers. Which shouldn't be a problem I can cut them down on my fathers table saw.

Can you cut them to 3 & 1/2 or 4 inches?
And maybe just a sampling of one or two blocks for each of what you listed? Possibly less I'm still building up a bank on this new hobby/career so it's tight.

I'm off today so if you want to work up a price with shipping then email me at ldroot@bellsouth.net I'll be checking my email between breaks from working on the block that came in yesterday!
I GOT BRIAR! haha..

Thanks for the offer David
I like the sound of what you have to choose from!
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

PapaDuke,

I'll work up a quick price and send it to your email. I'll have to go with just the price of the wood until I know how much you want then I can get a shipping price on it. A 2" x 2" x 3 1/2" block is roughly 5 1/2 to 6 ounces depending on the wood. I can also easily resaw on my bandsaw to any size you want. I normally cut them 1inch square which is a decent size for both pipe extensions and tampers.

I'll get prices and send them by email!

David
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

One inch wide would be great.

I'm thinking if you could then 1 inch x 4 inch and two each of what you listed; zebrawood, bubinga, bocote, brazilian cherry, mahogany, walnut and maple

so let's say 16 pieces with shipping?
If it's more then I can afford right now then we'll cut it down to one each.

What I'd like to do is use one piece for inlay then make a tamper out of the other?

Thanks David
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Got it! Email should be on its way shortly!

David
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Email sent. Let me know if you don't get it. I ocashinaly mak a mistace tiping. :oops: