PITH 2019!!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

What Shape Shall We Choose for the PITH 2019? Ends April 2nd 2019. One vote each member

Poll ended at Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Billiard
17%
Blowfish
14%
Live Edge Plateaux
34%
Dublin
14%
Bulldog
10%
Zulu
10%

Total votes: 29

LifeOfBeard

Re: PITH 2019!!!

Post by LifeOfBeard »

Since I’m new to this pipe-making thing, I’m doing a little research before I get started...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Massis

Post by Massis »

this one gets it ^^

LatakiaLover wrote:When a shooting contest's target is any tree on a wooded hillside, it's hard to miss.
Perfect description of my idea!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Massis, you are hurting my feelings.:) :) :)
These 18 stummels are sitting on my bench right now. 10 are “live edge” plateaux.
My usual ratio of live edge to normal tops is about 30%, and I expect that a number of these will have a smooth top when they are finished.
I would like to point out that I make a pretty good billiard (or prince)
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Rshey

Post by Rshey »

So should we do another vote and take the live edge out?
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Rshey wrote:So should we do another vote and take the live edge out?
Plateaux/Live edge is a good theme in my opinion. Just got to make the best you can to challenge yourself. Any shape can have plateaux on it.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
RickB

Post by RickB »

DocAitch wrote:Massis, you are hurting my feelings.:) :) :)
These 18 stummels are sitting on my bench right now. 10 are “live edge” plateaux.
Yeah but yours aren't dogs :lol:
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
RickB

Post by RickB »

LatakiaLover wrote:When a shooting contest's target is any tree on a wooded hillside, it's hard to miss.

The reason this board has (strongly!) recommended that aspiring carvers avoid flights of fancy until they've absorbed the fundamentals---and can demonstrate that fact with examples---is to avoid the shitshow that inevitably follows "feelings driven" designs.
Don't blame me, I wanted to do billiards :lol:
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

RickB wrote:

The reason this board has (strongly!) recommended that aspiring carvers avoid flights of fancy until they've absorbed the fundamentals---and can demonstrate that fact with examples---is to avoid the shitshow that inevitably follows "feelings driven" designs.
Don't blame me, I wanted to do billiards :lol:
You can still do an awesome billiard with a touch of plateaux. I’m shooting for a bulldog and also will attempt something a little unconventional.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
LSBW

Post by LSBW »

I've never done any plateaux pipes, just finished #15, struggling with the basic billiard shape! I'll make many before I submit the best one, some blobs, some billiards.
wooda2008

Post by wooda2008 »

When I voted for live edge, I was imagining making an old school yachtsman, dublin or something similar.
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

can the live edge be on the smoking end? :-)
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
Massis

Post by Massis »

Bluesytone wrote:can the live edge be on the smoking end? :-)
as in on the end of the shank? Assuming there's still a decent stem attached (who wants plateaux in their mouth?) I don't see why that should be a problem :-)

I recently made one like that:
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

:)
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
JMG

Post by JMG »

BUT MUH FEEEEELLLLIINNGGGS!!!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
mikecouch

Post by mikecouch »

I’m curious the process that you guys go through when you are deciding what shape to make for PITH. Do you draw shapes? Do you google ‘plateaux pipe’ and see what comes up? You you go back through your old patterns and see what might work?
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

mikecouch wrote:I’m curious the process that you guys go through when you are deciding what shape to make for PITH. Do you draw shapes? Do you google ‘plateaux pipe’ and see what comes up? You you go back through your old patterns and see what might work?
Yes,
yes,
and yes.

Also, I have about a zillion or so screenshots from instagram and smoking pipes saved in a folder in my google drive that I sift through....

And then, this time around I'm trying to imagine plateaux in surprising or unusual places.... which to be honest, more often than not, ends up seeming foolish. But I'm trying.....
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
PeskyPrussian

Post by PeskyPrussian »

mikecouch wrote:I’m curious the process that you guys go through when you are deciding what shape to make for PITH. Do you draw shapes? Do you google ‘plateaux pipe’ and see what comes up? You you go back through your old patterns and see what might work?
Generally a little bit of all of those things. Usually, though, the shape I tend to make for any pipe is dictated by the briar that I have on hand. For this pipe specifically, I'll probably go through all the blocks I have which feature decent looking live edges and decide which shapes would work best with those blocks based on the size and grain structure and pick whatever design I feel would be most fun.
Adam Bybee
bybee_pipes - instagram
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I grab a block and start cutting for grain. The shape is determined by what I wind up with when I am satisfied that I have avoided major flaws and blank areas. I don't mark the stummel until I start planning the drilling. I tend toward conservative shapes because I don't want a lot of non functional briar hanging out there on the end of the lever.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Massis

Post by Massis »

Since I've been experimenting lately, are we allowed to use resin casting? I've got a few funky ideas :-D
Rshey

Post by Rshey »

Hey guys, sadly I’m gonna have to back out. We’re packing everything up and moving to Northwest Arkansas in three weeks. The place we’re moving doesn’t look like it’s going to have the space to set anything up. This move will be a good thing eventually. Timing could be better for sure .