Machined pipes.New Factory in Nashville.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
scotties22

Re: Machined pipes.New Factory in Nashville.

Post by scotties22 »

Solomon_pipes wrote:It should be a given that your drilling is dead on, not a selling point.
Well fuck.....there goes my next marketing campaign.....thanks Joe :twisted:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

ToddJohnson wrote: Come on down the aisle and let Brother Markle lay hands on you. Say it with me, brothers and sisters: "I don't wanna make $400 wagon-wheel blowfish anymore! I confess that my mouthpieces have been thick, lumpy, and poorly engineered!
Can I get a hallelujah!?

This thread is the pipe-makers version of a dark comedy. Sadly everything said is true. Being a young whippersnapper myself- all bright eyed and bushy tailed- I haven't become completely jaded and insular yet. I'm also not a famus pipemaker- maybe that's part of it.

There is hope! Resist!

Comrade Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Well Scottie, you may have to try a different approach. Maybe a switchblade beard comb that is hidden in a 3rd calabash chamber. Or maybe you could inlay the PBR logo into a premolded stem.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Solomon_pipes wrote:Well Scottie, you may have to try a different approach. Maybe a switchblade beard comb that is hidden in a 3rd calabash chamber. Or maybe you could inlay the PBR logo into a premolded stem.
I can think of at least a dozen would-be pipe makers whose third chamber I'd love to shove a switchblade into.

TJ
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Solomon_pipes wrote:....... It should be a given that your drilling is dead on, not a selling point.

Ha, slightly OT here but this comments explains an awful lot about my recent email traffic. Never had I been asked if the drilling is centred and on the bottom of the bowl until the last year or so when I have dozens of emails from potential new customers (not sure if any actually ordered anything) asking if my pipes were drilled properly. I just thought it might have been nan influx of new pipers who were still learning what makes a good pipe but now you have said that it makes me think.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Actually..... it's probably more because I pretty much spent last year telling people that you didn't have a hot clue how to drill a pipe, Chris.

Any publicity is good publicity though, right bud? :P
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

ToddJohnson wrote:
I can think of at least a dozen would-be pipe makers whose third chamber I'd love to shove a switchblade into.

TJ
I think the issue is you just aren't expressing your feelings clearly enough. You shouldn't hold back. Let it out man! :D

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Sasquatch wrote:Actually..... it's probably more because I pretty much spent last year telling people that you didn't have a hot clue how to drill a pipe, Chris.

Any publicity is good publicity though, right bud? :P

How weird I did the same thing to you, only problem was everyone I told said "Yeah we know he can't drill straight but we don't tell him otherwise he goes on a rampage and they have to close down the ward and double his meds for a week."

:mrgreen:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The reason this state of affairs exists---can exist---is the Internet, of course. First, it showed anyone who might be interested how to make pipes, and then it permitted direct distribution from producer to buyer.

How do you change that? You can't. The genie is not only out of the bottle, but getting stronger every day.
Pipenet was originally built by Cyberdyne Systems Corporation for Strategic Smoking Command - North American Defense. The SCC-NORSD base is located in Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado, the world's most heavily armored and defended mountain. Hollowed out, reinforced and armored, Cheyenne Mountain was capable of withstanding a direct hit from a 20MT nuclear warhead. This made it the perfect installation at which to build Pipenet's mainframe. At some point during the war, after Pipenet had launched its Blowfish Attack, Pipenet itself had the mountain around it disassembled via excavation, leaving a cold, gleaming structure behind as a display of the supremacy of Hipster-Bro Carvers over the Old School artists.

Heavily armored and fortified, Pipenet's Central Core Installation at Cheyenne Mountain was guarded around the clock by squads of Series 800 Terminators with patrols of Aerial Hunter Killers and Hunter Killer Tanks, and was defended from large scale rebel assaults by massive Phased Plasma Cannons.

Pipenet's Central Core was located deep underground within the main complex. From intercepted surveillance of video data feed, the Resistance, led by Todd Johnson, was able to hypothesize that this Central Core was a massive cold fusion lathe used to supply Pipenet with its tremendous stummel requirements. This Central Core is the key to Pipenet's ability to operate, and would be rendered virtually disabled without it. It has therefore become the main target for the most skilled Resistance strike teams. The Central Core is protected by the T-1000000, and there have, as of yet, been no successful strikes against it.[1]
These are dark days indeed.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

This is a good thread. I agree with pretty much all that was said.
Just to cheer everyone up a little- we're here complaining about all the wannabe hipster smoking-turd makers, but just think what any serious knifemaker must be feeling... I'm not super well informed but it seems that the phenomenon we're seeing in pipemaking is 10 times worse among knifemakers.

We just need to keep working hard and not pay attention to the jerks, they will disappear soon. Thankfully there are those who have the power, will and experience to actively counteract the proliferation of turd-crafters. Thanks TJ.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

W.Pastuch wrote:This is a good thread. I agree with pretty much all that was said.
Just to cheer everyone up a little- we're here complaining about all the wannabe hipster smoking-turd makers, but just think what any serious knifemaker must be feeling... I'm not super well informed but it seems that the phenomenon we're seeing in pipemaking is 10 times worse among knifemakers.

We just need to keep working hard and not pay attention to the jerks, they will disappear soon. Thankfully there are those who have the power, will and experience to actively counteract the proliferation of turd-crafters. Thanks TJ.
Good point.

And it's not like those who purvey pipe turds are really taking away customers from high grade makers. I mean, don't collectors of high grades know how to distinguish between the good, the bad, and the ugly?
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
The Smoking Yeti

sandahlpipe wrote:don't collectors of high grades know how to distinguish between the good, the bad, and the ugly?
Usually.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:Actually..... it's probably more because I pretty much spent last year telling people that you didn't have a hot clue how to drill a pipe, Chris.
Wow. Canada at war with England. Who'da thunk it? :lol:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Collectors surely do know more than we are maybe giving them credit for here, or rather, collectors who are gonna drop say 500 bucks on a pipe, they don't buy turds much.

Joe Sixpack wants an artie pipe but has no conception of the fine-tuning of drilling, slot, balance etc that a good "hand made" pipe goes through - how good a pipe should be at say, the 250 dollar price point. So he's liable to not get the best for his money. Hell there was recently a pipe maker of a sort bragging about how his pipes were really hand shaped one of a kind type units, not like "the rest of those guys", when he wasn't even cutting his own stems. (Rad sorted this out rather elegantly). So there's bullshit, ignorance, and some pretty poor pipes flying around.

What's it mean for most of us? Nothing if we've built our businesses carefully and offered good product, and... if we know what the fuck we're doing when we make a pipe.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Wow. Canada at war with England. Who'da thunk it? :lol:

We'll talk lots of trash, but at the end of the day, we'll have a gin and tonic, which is a type of alcoholic mixed drink, and say "Gosh, it's sure lucky we're not Yankees."
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:
We'll talk lots of trash, but at the end of the day, we'll have a gin and tonic, which is a type of alcoholic mixed drink, and say "Gosh, it's sure lucky we're not Yankees."
Only after parking your snow machines and adjusting your monocles and top hats, respectively, I assume. And exchanging some Jolly good shows! and a few eh's, while going about it.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That sounds pretty accurate, yeah. :lol:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
Only after parking your snow machines and adjusting your monocles and top hats, respectively, I assume. And exchanging some Jolly good shows! and a few eh's, while going about it.
Don't you mean a'boot it??
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

so those who make turd pipes, are they now considered fartisans?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Haha that's one I hadn't thought of.

One I.

Get it?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahahahahahaha