Goussard Pipes #1420

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Goussard Pipes #1420

Post by Charl »

I finished this one over the weekend. I can see loads wrong, but would love to hear what you guys think.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: Goussard Pipes #1420

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I think its a great pipe. Love the texture of the blast and the contrast with the cumberland stem. In my opinion I think it could use a little more cant to the bowl. It also looks a little tall for a traditional billiard, which you arent claiming it is so that is opinion as well. The back of the bowl (stem side) looks to have a little web that connects to the shank but its hard to tell. I also would like a darker stain on the smooth rim, but Everyone has their own preferences. Nice pipe charl!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think it's a fairly nice pipe proportion-wise. You've got the bowl going back in just above the shank, which I think can look nice, but I think you took off just a little too much there. For a traditional billiard, the shank is just a little bit too long. I think a slightly further forward cant would improve it as well. The smooth bit of briar on the end of the shank draws unnecessary attention to itself. Also, my first impression is that the stummel is not as shiny as it could be. It's a nice pipe, though. Keep it up!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Magnificent work.
Best regards.
Félix
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Solomon_pipes wrote:I think its a great pipe. Love the texture of the blast and the contrast with the cumberland stem. In my opinion I think it could use a little more cant to the bowl. It also looks a little tall for a traditional billiard, which you arent claiming it is so that is opinion as well. The back of the bowl (stem side) looks to have a little web that connects to the shank but its hard to tell. I also would like a darker stain on the smooth rim, but Everyone has their own preferences. Nice pipe charl!
Ditto on all of that :)
JMG

Post by JMG »

I love this finish Charl.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks for the feedback, gents. Appreciate it!
Keep it up!
:roll: But of course! I've been doing it for 7 years and most certainly will only stop when I'm 6 feet under.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Elegant!