introduction and first pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
grrrrr609

introduction and first pipe

Post by grrrrr609 »

Well my name is Dave. I'm new to the pipe making aspect of my hobby. I joined here many months ago but have only been reading. I'm active on other forums so some may recognize my handle. I recognize many names here.

I work alot. So my down time relaxing is usually spent with my pipes. I've been restoring estate pipes for maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years. I started to blog my progress until the blog app stopped letting me post pics. I began restoring to learn about pipes so I could begin making them.

I have about 150 pipes, most being smokers. Out of those maybe 20 were purchased new.

Fav pipe shape - bulldogs and rhodesians

Fav pipe in my rotation is probably my restored Comoy apple (I think that's the shape)

Fav blends. I lean more towards english blends but not exclusively. Don't smoke many aros. Love the Pur Semois. Penzance. Pelican. Stonhaven.

Been a woodworker since I was in third grade. Have a shop full of tools that haven't had much use in years.

Well onto my first pipe. The stem is from a kit ( block was useless) that I destroyed.

I let the block dictate the shape. I found the center on the top. Transfered the line down the side. Found the center of the shank and transfered that line for the draught hole. Used a roll of electrical tape to to trace around to kinda give it some shape then chucked it into my lathe. This is my end result.

I've got some more pics I can post later.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: introduction and first pipe

Post by Tyler »

Welcome!
maxmil

Re: introduction and first pipe

Post by maxmil »

Welcome.
Best regards.
Félix
socrates