21-14 Diamond Bent Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

21-14 Diamond Bent Billiard

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ok, in accordance with the request from supreme commander Scottie, I guess I'll post my latest pipe for critique. I'm pretty good at knowing where I messed up, but lets see what else you guys can find.

Ocyd

Re: 21-14 Diamond Bent Billiard

Post by Ocyd »

:shock: There is a gap between the faces on the stem and shank.
Last edited by Ocyd on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate

Post by Nate »

That's a terrible blowfish...
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

@ Ocyd Yeah, I noticed that. Only in the photos though. If it is present it is negligible. Maybe the stem just wasn't seated properly when I took the photos. Either way, it sticks out like a sore thumb in these shots.

@ Nate Gee thanks. I know I can always count on your support. :wink:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I really like the shape. As for critique, the shank is a bit short. You've got some rounded edges at your stem and shank junction. The back edge of your button is a bit sharp. Those are the most obvious to me. Even still, it's a nice pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

As Wayne said, it's just terrible. Send it to me to dispose of.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
BobR

Post by BobR »

Nice pipe.
Last edited by BobR on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Nate

Post by Nate »

Honestly apart from what's been noted, I don't have any critique Jesse. As noted, I'm sure you saw those items yourself already anyway. I was going to point out you need to relieve the rim with a radius or at least a chamfer, but it appears in your last photo you have. Nice stuff man!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Great work, Jesse! The only thing I can add is that the grain on the bottom of the bowl could be better. But you already knew that...:-D
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Really like this pipe!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

IAWE

Plus your slot looks like you squished it when you bent the stem.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

d.huber wrote:IAWE

There for a while I could NOT figure out why my slots were turning out so badly.... then I figured it out. :lol:

I think the big thing for me, which hasn't been mentioned, is the high center of gravity on this pipe.

The diamond shank causes the bowl to feel to visually delicate/light on the bottom- it doesn't feel like a proper billiard bowl. It feels a bit amorphous really. If you could find a way to lower the center of mass to give it a more billiard-like feel, I think that would do wonders for the composition. I recognize this is difficult with a diamond shank, but it's worth thinking about.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:

There for a while I could NOT figure out why my slots were turning out so badly.... then I figured it out. :lol:

I think the big thing for me, which hasn't been mentioned, is the high center of gravity on this pipe.

The diamond shank causes the bowl to feel to visually delicate/light on the bottom- it doesn't feel like a proper billiard bowl. It feels a bit amorphous really. If you could find a way to lower the center of mass to give it a more billiard-like feel, I think that would do wonders for the composition. I recognize this is difficult with a diamond shank, but it's worth thinking about.
Interesting. Longer shank or larger bowl, or taller bowl or thinner shank, etc... Maybe little adjustments to any of these would develop the shape.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

PremalChheda wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:

Interesting. Longer shank or larger bowl, or taller bowl or thinner shank, etc... Maybe little adjustments to any of these would develop the shape.
I think you have a point. I like these ideas. Since I have yet another commission for one of these I might take the liberty of playing with the lines a bit.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:

I noticed the same thing, Micah, but couldn't articulate it in my post so I deleted it. The bottom line drifts way low in relation to the bowl.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
socrates

Post by socrates »

Last edited by socrates on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Last edited by socrates on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Last edited by socrates on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:

I noticed the same thing, Micah, but couldn't articulate it in my post so I deleted it. The bottom line drifts way low in relation to the bowl.
Nice catch, guys, and well alliterated.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Quite a looker Jesse. Very crisp lines, like it alot.