Dremel #2

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
PastorPipe

Dremel #2

Post by PastorPipe »

O.K. So I decided to go with a Dremel to carve my first pipe. Now I just need to actually go out and purchase one. Who makes the best rotarry tool? Anyone know? What kind of features do I really need other than the flex shaft? Multiple speeds? Etc. Any experienced info would be helpful although random information is sometimes appreciated.

-Matt-
"A pipe...it is a great soother, a pleasant comforter! Blue devils fly before its honest breath! It ripens the brain--it opens the heart; and the man who smokes, thinks like a sage and acts like a Samaritan!"
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I had a dremel for a long time, though I never used it on my pipes except for stems. It died a rather spectacular death, so I replaced it with a rather nice unit I found at Woodcraft - made by Wecheer, of all companies. It came with tons of accessories including a flex shaft, a nice comfy handpiece, and a reciprocating carving handpiece (that does a great job of taking chunks out of my hand-flesh).

I also have a cheap foredom-like tool that I never use. It doesn't spin fast enough, and the handpiece is fricking huge. It has plenty of power, but past that, I don't find it useful. Which is not to say that Foredoms are crap - I've never used one, so I can't speak with any authority on them.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

I believe Kent Rasmussen uses a Proxxon rotary tool - and his work is as good as it gets using a rotary tool. :thumb:
PastorPipe

Post by PastorPipe »

What exactly is Woodcraft? Is it a local store? If so, can I order online or buy directly through "Weecher?" Thanks.
"A pipe...it is a great soother, a pleasant comforter! Blue devils fly before its honest breath! It ripens the brain--it opens the heart; and the man who smokes, thinks like a sage and acts like a Samaritan!"
jeff

Post by jeff »

Pastor Matt,

You can choose to sink about $100 into a nice Dremel kit that comes with the flex shaft and a bunch of accessories if you like. You can also get on ebay and buy a cheapie kit that comes with similar accessories for abut $25. Another option would be to break into my shop and use mine. :) I'll be in there next week, so we can get together and work it out if you like.

Adios,

Jeff "el bano" G.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Can I come too!?
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

I use dremel tool with the flex shaft. I do find my self using the tool less as I perfect my pipe making skills but it does still get used. You can pick it up in home depot if you are looking to get started right away.
sgillett

Which model?

Post by sgillett »

Random,

After reading your endorsement of Foredoms, I checked out their website. There's lots of options & I was curious what set up you have.

Steve
sgillett

Post by sgillett »

Random,

Thanks for the information-laden reply.

Steve