Pipe making teacher wanted!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
tpeel

Pipe making teacher wanted!!

Post by tpeel »

I'm a 28 year old Navy veteran and student. I am currently in college at Georgia Southern University and am looking for a change. I have always been an artist and a musician. I am extremely willing to learn and am a sponge for information. This is something that I am passionate about and really want to learn this trade in full. If there are any professional pipe makers in the Southeast that are willing to take on a student please send me an email. I am willing to move. Thank you in advance.
PremalChheda

Re: Pipe making teacher wanted!!

Post by PremalChheda »

tpeel wrote:I'm a 28 year old Navy veteran and student. I am currently in college at Georgia Southern University and am looking for a change. I have always been an artist and a musician. I am extremely willing to learn and am a sponge for information. This is something that I am passionate about and really want to learn this trade in full. If there are any professional pipe makers in the Southeast that are willing to take on a student please send me an email. I am willing to move. Thank you in advance.
Welcome tpeel,

You have multiple teachers already at your disposal on this forum. Read, Read, Read, and Research, practice, practice, practice. That is the best way to start. Once you have a working knowledge, and have made a few pipe maker friends, then it is time to visit with another pipe maker to further your knowledge and get some first hand tutoring.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

What Premal said.

I do think you could learn a lot of basics by observing a pipe maker for a couple days, but after that, much of your learning can be done through interactions here.
- Steve S.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

You can learn more than the basics here just by reading and learning from others successes and failures. I can count on one hand the number of hours I have spent in another makers shop (it's 4 hours, by the way). And that wasn't even another pipe maker, really.....it was two trips to George's about a year apart. (For you newbies I'm refering to George Dibos AKA LatakiaLover here on the board)

Just about everything you could ever want to know is here...somwhere. Read, ask questions when you got 'em, make some pipes and see how it goes.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Good advice from the others. You really need to learn on your own, even if someone does teach you technique. You will still just have to put in the time on your own until what they teach you clicks.
Also, nearly all the american pipemakers are grumpy loners who work by themselves so that makes it tough to find what you're looking for.
Although if you can get discount fruitcakes , that might sweeten the deal for somebody to teach you.
Mmm mm mmm. Claxton Fruitcakes.
FC3

Post by FC3 »

I have to agree there is a lot of great info and help here at your disposal. Just give it a shot, post pics of your work, and you will learn a lot from the feedback. You could also take some classes at the university to learn lathe work ;) Then as you progress and get to know some of the members of the community perhaps you could arrange a visit for a insiders look into a pipe shop.
Welcome aboard brother!