A Castello 293 Riff

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

A Castello 293 Riff

Post by billiard »

Hi All,

I'm not posting this for a critique. It's a commission for a respected smoker/collector/maker so I'd prefer the commentary offline (and I've gotten plenty, lol, but feel free to blast me in a PM if you want :)).

I do have a reason to post this though, a tip that may help someone:

Try something different.

As a hobbyist I do not make a lot of pipes (relatively) but this year every pipe I have made has been sand blasted, with a flush fit stem, and a flat top. This stem is completely different than anything I have made before as well.

I learned a tremendous amount making this pipe. I had to rethink how I do several procedures to make this.

No, I'm certainly not saying to do different things every time - getting a procedure down, that you know, is important to do and changing too many things at once can cause lots of confusion, but that said making this pipe I think was very good for me long term. I most likely will get back to my usual style with my next pipe but like I said I got a lot out of this.

The commission was for a smooth Castello 293 shape and for me to put a little of my own spin\style on it.

Any thoughts on my thoughts? :)

Bill
sandahlpipe

Re: A Castello 293 Riff

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think the idea has some potential. The part that I don't think works is the tenon sticking out like it does. Having a gap between the shank and stem would work well, I think, if you repeat the line on the shank face on the stem.
Also, it looks like you've got a pinch on the bottom line of the stummel.

I'd say try exploring this idea a bit further and see how you can improve it.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

sandahlpipe wrote:I think the idea has some potential. The part that I don't think works is the tenon sticking out like it does. Having a gap between the shank and stem would work well, I think, if you repeat the line on the shank face on the stem.

I knew I shouldn't have bothered with this thread, and I knew you would be the one to critique. Oh well I tried :) :lol:

Please read what I wrote in my original post. Please at least go look at a 293: http://www.pipacastello.com/pages_eng/f ... 293G/c.htm

:) :)
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

What you say makes sense to me. It's easy to get stuck in a rut, just doing what you already feel comfortable doing. For example, I've been making freehand churchwardens lately. They have their own challenges (e.g. a heck of a lot of stem to sand and buff), but there are some easy things about CWs. Stem length is very flexible. Add or subtract 3/8" from the stem of a CW, and you don't alter the look of the pipe a whole lot. Add or subtract the same amount from a small billiard, and you'll throw the whole balance of the pipe off. Different shapes and sizes teach very different things.
- Steve S.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

billiard wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:I think the idea has some potential. The part that I don't think works is the tenon sticking out like it does. Having a gap between the shank and stem would work well, I think, if you repeat the line on the shank face on the stem.

I knew I shouldn't have bothered with this thread, and I knew you would be the one to critique. Oh well I tried :) :lol:

Please read what I wrote in my original post. Please at least go look at a 293: http://www.pipacastello.com/pages_eng/f ... 293G/c.htm

:) :)
:LOL:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

billiard wrote:Hi All,

I'm not posting this for a critique. It's a commission for a respected smoker/collector/maker so I'd prefer the commentary offline (and I've gotten plenty, lol, but feel free to blast me in a PM if you want :)).
Dear Sir,

If you would be so kind to inform us of your intent with a thread in the OP that would be super duper fantastic! This should hopefully nix the possibility of anyone confusing your intent with the post.

:lol:

Hope this helps
Scottie
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

In all seriousness I think it is great to step out of your comfort zone from time to time. You learn new things and master new skills every time. You also might pick up a few things to improve the skills you already have. That's why I turned a bowl last week. Boy did I learn a lot about my tools and how to use them to their fullest!
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Here I thought anything posted to the gallery was fair game...but I'm glad I didn't disappoint you since you knew I was going to post. :-D

I think trying something new is a great idea for sure.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Here I thought anything posted to the gallery was fair game

You're right........Except for when the post starts with "I'm not posting this for critique."
www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

scotties22 wrote:

You're right........Except for when the post starts with "I'm not posting this for critique."
Girls... they always read into things.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
scotties22 wrote:

Girls... they always read into things.
No, I just think we READ things :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Have I mentioned I love you guys today? Group hug.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

Loving. This. Thread.