My weekend pipe project

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jwhitehead3129

My weekend pipe project

Post by Jwhitehead3129 »

A tall canted poker with an off centered anchor. In my artistic head the off center anchor with the canted pipe seemed right. Either way it was fun to make. I will try to upload the other couple shots within the post since its limited to 3.
Attachments
Canted3.jpeg
(164.89 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Canted2.jpeg
(210.55 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
canted1.jpeg
(228.27 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
sandahlpipe

Re: My weekend pipe project

Post by sandahlpipe »

Work on getting rid of that gap between shank and stummel. Also, your bowl is much too large for the size of the shank. Next time, make a skinnier bowl or a chubbier shank and it will be more balanced.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Jwhitehead3129

Post by Jwhitehead3129 »

Thanks, I will do that for the next one. I know in that shot it appears there is a gap but its a super solid tight fit and you couldnt slip a sheet of paper into if you tried. As usual though I appreciate the feedback and its been noted.
Attachments
canted4.jpeg
(148.22 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
canted5.jpeg
(161.82 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
canted6.jpeg
(168.62 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Jwhitehead3129 wrote:Thanks, I will do that for the next one. I know in that shot it appears there is a gap but its a super solid tight fit and you couldnt slip a sheet of paper into if you tried. As usual though I appreciate the feedback and its been noted.
In all of your shots there is a noticeable seam where your stem meets the shank. Tight fit or not, that should be fixed. You want the light reflection to be continuous from shank to stem and it is not here.

Also, which image server are you using? You should be able to have more than three per post. I use Imgur and have added many photos to one post.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Jwhitehead3129

Post by Jwhitehead3129 »

Thanks for the feedback, I am always working to improve so I will keep at it.
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

+1 on what's been said so far, especially about the proportion of bowl to shank. For a pipe like that, I'm thinking that the shank's thickness should be one-third the diameter of the bowl, if that makes sense. Draw it out, and see if it looks right.

I do like the concept, though. I'd love to see another one with better proportions.
- Steve S.
Brad James

Post by Brad James »

Hey, I love the work on your pipe. Very nice.
I see some comments on the fit between the two pieces and I know what they mean.
In the photos it looks like a gap. Though I'm new here, I'd like to just suggest that there may be a slight bevel (rounded) edge to either or both pieces which give the illusion of a gap. Personally , I love the look of the pipe. Great job.
Jwhitehead3129

Post by Jwhitehead3129 »

Thank you guys for the responses. I can see what you mean with the porportions and I will look to adjust that if I make another. I started making my own stems so I should have more flexibility with the size of the stems I have on hand. Thanks again for the feedback.