Hand Cut or Pre-made

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
sagiter

Hand Cut or Pre-made

Post by sagiter »

There are many collectors, myself included, that won't deal with a pre-formed stem. So my question to many of you guys who are trying to make a name for yourself in the pipe business is if you have a website and are trying to sell your pipes why aren't many of you indicating on your site whether or not you are offering a hand cut stem or not. I go to your websites and see pipes described with price tags and lengths and chamber diameters, etc. but many of you aren't indicating that the stem is hand-cut or not ?

Just wondering,

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

because I'm ashamed............. (sorry for the bad grammar :P )

Well that's only half true... Mainly because I never thought of it. I'll gladly put it up with my pipe's descriptions. I still use prefabs, but really want to begin to use hand cut with delrin tenons. Neil, as a buyer, what do you think hand cuts with delrin tenons? Not the same for you? Or is it quality of the stem your more concerned with (as opposed to the tenon, that is)?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Neil,

My site has a product filter for just that purpose. You can click "hand cut stem" or "factory stem" to see what's available in each category. I use both because a lot of buyers are budget concious, but I'm doing a lot more hand cut lately.

You can also filter freehand shape, standard shape, smooth finish, and rusticated finish. Anything that makes it easier for the buyer to find what he's looking for is worth the effort, IMO.

Rad
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Uh, Neil, are you saying that we need to indicate hand-cut stems on every pipe description? Sometimes what a guy thinks is clear turns out only to be clear to himself... I assume that since my pipes have ultem stems and nobody makes pre-fab ultem stems it should be pretty obvious, but maybe it isn't.
My site has a product filter for just that purpose. You can click "hand cut stem" or "factory stem" to see what's available in each category. I use both because a lot of buyers are budget concious, but I'm doing a lot more hand cut lately.
Neil, as a buyer, what do you think hand cuts with delrin tenons? Not the same for you? Or is it quality of the stem your more concerned with (as opposed to the tenon, that is)?
Random, your site is fine, it's quite understandable that your stems are of a unique material and are made by you. If I were you though I would certainly always add the words, hand cut ultem stem. just 4 extra words that couldn't hurt :-)

Rad, your site is fine, if I like a pipe the descriprion is clear that there is a hand-cut stem.

Ben, I have no problem with Delrin Tenons on a stem, many makers do this. What I'm looking for is the comfort of a hand-cut stem and to be able to equate a price based on the work done.

btw... the other thing I look for is ID chamber diameter and ID bowl depth. Never understood how a pipe maker can leave these off.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

[quote="Neil"btw... the other thing I look for is ID chamber diameter and ID bowl depth. Never understood how a pipe maker can leave these off.

Neil[/quote]

That last phrase reminded me about how I planned on doing all those things. While doing pre-fab only, I had planned on making an "engineering" page and giving THE specs (since they were the same for all) on things like stem ID. That's what my "About Scofield Pipes" page was supposed to be for.

The ID of the chamber has been left off my descriptions due to PURE unadulterated LAZINESS! :thumb:

And incidently, as of my last.... oh, say, 5 pipes or so, I've been making severe modifications to the pre-fab stems for just that reason: Comfort.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I don't put it in the product decription due to space. I have a limited number of characters that I can put into certain cells. I try not to cram too much in there and keep it limited to just the essentials, (which what those consist of, is, I admit, very subjective)

I basicaly view my web page as an elaborate business card / teaser to get people to contact me about the pipes. There have been very few cases where I have sold a pipe to a person buying it cold off of the web site. In the vast majority of cases people have emailed me and / or called me and the sale was made after a one on one converstation. Or they have checked out the site after speaking with me at a show. If there is any question it is generaly answered then.

I do have a rod of ebonite in the pic with many of the pipes and mention it in my about me page. I also send out a preview email to those who have shown an interest so that they can have a chance at the pipes before they are put on the site. Handcut stems are mentioned there as well. I guess I just figured that my stems looked hand cut.

Other than that... I guess I might finally have an excuse for a flaming logo :thumb:

But seriously I can see your point and it is not bad idea to put it in the description (although I still get people who email me asking the size and price of my pipes :dunno: )
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

John,

I just did a quick look at ALL the pages on your site and would never have known that your stems are hand cut.

As to the secondary point I added, I like 3/4 inch diameter chambers, that's my size, telling me that the bowl is 2" leaves me completely in the black about the size of the chamber.

btw.... I'm just trying to be helpful here guys, I'm a big fish, NO pipe price scares me under $1000.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Thanks for the input Neil, I will work on making that more clear.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

sagiter wrote:btw.... I'm just trying to be helpful here guys
I assumed as much! :)
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Well, after 3 years of going to the Chicago show I Finally made a few pipes with you in mind Neil. I'll make a point to catch up with you.
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

That Bamboo is pretty close to what I like kirk :-))

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
marks

Post by marks »

You raise a valid point Neil. After reading your original post, and then looking at my web page, I think I can make it a little clearer that all my pipes have hand cut stems.

Thanks for the feedback from a collector's perspective.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Hand Cut or Pre-made

Post by KurtHuhn »

sagiter wrote:There are many collectors, myself included, that won't deal with a pre-formed stem. So my question to many of you guys who are trying to make a name for yourself in the pipe business is if you have a website and are trying to sell your pipes why aren't many of you indicating on your site whether or not you are offering a hand cut stem or not. I go to your websites and see pipes described with price tags and lengths and chamber diameters, etc. but many of you aren't indicating that the stem is hand-cut or not ?
Good point, Neil. I guess it never struck me to include that info. Now that you bring it up, I see that it's a glaring omission. I'll add that info soon.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

sagiter wrote:I'm a big fish, NO pipe price scares me under $1000.

Neil
Damn! Now I'm gonna' have to rusticate something for Chicago. :D

Todd--who uses old Dr. Grabow stems for all his pipes.
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Damn! Now I'm gonna' have to rusticate something for Chicago.
Suck up.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

sagiter wrote:
Damn! Now I'm gonna' have to rusticate something for Chicago.
Suck up.

Neil
Hey, I'm just trying to keep you under 1G Flancebaum! Don't ever say I don't take care of you.

Todd
magruder

Post by magruder »

NEIL WROTE:
Ben, I have no problem with Delrin Tenons on a stem, many makers do this. What I'm looking for is the comfort of a hand-cut stem and to be able to equate a price based on the work done.

btw... the other thing I look for is ID chamber diameter and ID bowl depth. Never understood how a pipe maker can leave these off.
The hand cut stem phrase has a great cachet. It It hints at bespoke goods. A great marketing phrase.

As to pre-formed stems, I rework mine to a very nice look and comfortable button IMHO. I would prefer to cut my own, but no lathe yet.

As to info about the pipes: WEIGHT is a huge factor for a lot of collectors. I wish all pipe specs showed a weight in grams. Tenths of an ounce are too hard to conjure in my mind. ( Showing my college days' activities here :wink: ) Since an OZ. is roughly 27 grams, seeing that a pipe is 45 or less lets me know it is pretty light. And at 36 or fewer, I am ready to buy, if it have at least a Dunhill group 3 capacity :thumb:

I am a collector that is now beginning to make pipes and will be selling several very nice ones to finance my workshop.
My collection is worth almost as much as my BMW, so I will reluctantly give up some of the less often smoked pipes for tooling up - and to save my marriage!
BTW- the above is not meant as a brag, but to note it is curious that my passion fades for collecting, as it increases for making the pipes. I can only dream of making pipes that approach those in my collection.
(Some of them are from members of this forum - and I'll not sell those!)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well are you gonna give us first dibs? Or just toss them on Ebay?

Nick - who can't ever pass up the chance to see some more cool pipes!
magruder

Post by magruder »

Nick,

I can't believe it didn't occur to me to put them up F/S here :roll:

I'll make a list w/brief descriptions and if there is interest, I can send photos.

I don't want to use up a lot of BW here with all the photos.

OK?