Dremel

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
PastorPipe

Dremel

Post by PastorPipe »

Can anyone give a few basic tips on beginning to work on a stummel with a Dremel? What are some things to be mindful of etc.? The "Stummel Work" isn't that helpful unfortunately. Perhaps someone could recommend a website with some helpful hints. Thanks.

-Matt-
magruder

Post by magruder »

Hi,
I've used a dremel for a bit, but switched to a drill mounted sanding disc in a vise pretty fast. It was much better for basic shaping.

BUT... you asked about the Dremel. I put my Dremel in a vise and used a sanding drum mostly. It was easier to control the stummel held in my hand to get nice smooth lines and curves. Working with the Dremel in hand just seemed too uncontrollable. Use very slow speeds and let the tool do the work. To much speed/pressure will burn wood fast. The cutting wheel works to get rid of inital "waste" wood, but the cutting depth is so shallow, I switched to a coping saw w/wood in vise because it is much better - though it takes much elbow grease.

Be REALLY careful using a sanding drum on a stem. It can be quite useful, but vulcanite really scratches deeply in a hurry.

BTW- using the Dremel in a vise option; place a gooseneck lamp over the working surface/tool contact area and try putting a blank, light colored card or poster board under the work so that it is very easy to see the outline of the wood as it contacts the tool. This light background really helps you to see what you are doing vis-a-vis the shape of the stummel.

HTH and good luck.
jeff

Post by jeff »

random wrote:First off, a Dremel is a pale imitation of a real rotary grinder. I bought a Foredom a year or two ago and there is no comparison. But since you ask about a Dremel I will tell you about a Dremel.
PastorPipe,

Random's right. Only an idiot would work with a Dremel, you idiot. In fact, you are more than that. You are an eedeeot!

That being said, I think that you should buy a lathe and make pipes like the pros do, otherwise you should just quit. It's not worth it. :boohoo:

:wink:

JG
marks

Post by marks »

A flex shaft helps a great deal. Also, you can cut off larger pieces with a coping saw, or a hacksaw, if you do not have a band saw. Either way, shaping with a dremel is a slow process, but if you have the time, no problem. Also, if you are new to pipemaking, you are less likely to make an irreversible error. (You can take wood off, but you can't put it back on).

I took my dremel with me last year on vacation and spent a pleasant afternoon shaping a pipe. That pipe now resides in the Pipe and Pint in Greensboro, NC, and can often be seen clenched in the teeth of the proprietor.

I'm planning on taking a block of briar and my dremel on vacation with me again this year in case I get a free afternoon. Personally, I prefer the cutting burrs over the sanding drum for shaping, but there are others who prefer the sanding drum. I may have to try some cutting tools like Random described.

Good luck in your endeavors.
yellowking

Post by yellowking »

I quit using a Dremel for much more than minor hits. I cut off as much as I can, use disk and belt sanders to get pretty close, then finish up with several hand rasps and files. I make fewer mistakes and find it a more rewarding process, although it's not any faster.
PastorPipe

Dremel

Post by PastorPipe »

Thanks for the posts guys. That is plenty of info for now. Jeff, I appreciate the laughs pal.