1st Acorn with bamboo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

1st Acorn with bamboo

Post by kamkiel »

Don't remember when I started this, but it was in the very beginning. I pulled this chunk out of a box of unfinished/abandoned blocks. I drilling on this one is not centered either (I suppose I should take care of this problem) and the stem end is a not to my liking. It is the first time I have tried to make a stem like this and I will try harder next time. Next time I will also make sure to cut the bamboo in the middle of the joints. I think this will help make an easier transition into the stem.

Critiques welcomed!

I will try to respond to any comments/questions in a timely manner if I can. I will be travelling around Northwestern China for the next couple of weeks. Thanks for looking!
Kiel
Hawke

Re: 1st Acorn with bamboo

Post by Hawke »

I like the way you transitioned the bowl thru the black band and into the bamboo. Contoured nicely.
Scripto Vu-Lighter Historian
http://www.thehawkeco.com/
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Good thing the most interesting part of the grain is on the side that the smoker will be looking at. The rim could have been a little more sharply defined. Nice work with the bamboo junctions, though.
- Steve S.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Literaryworkshop wrote:Good thing the most interesting part of the grain is on the side that the smoker will be looking at. The rim could have been a little more sharply defined. Nice work with the bamboo junctions, though.
Agreed. I haven't spent lots of money on briar. I buy cheapo pieces so I can develop my skills at a lower cost. I don't want to ruin some expensive piece of wood because of some rookie mistake. I suppose once my confidence is up I can focus on more on how to get better grain on my pipes.

Thanks!
Kiel
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

When you use bamboo, try not to sand the bamboo. Dry fit the bamboo and then sand the ebonite or briar to match the line of the bamboo. I can see obvious sanding scratches left in the bamboo. You've also got sanding left to do on the stem, besides presumably tooling marks on the stem as well. It looks to me like you stained with a dark color and sanded too much of it back off. I would recommend another coat of the dark stain and very light sanding before your light stain.

And you should sand out the stain from the chamber and/or coat the bowl with something. You've also got some chatter marks in the chamber probably from a dull chamber bit.

Having said that, I think the idea behind this pipe is good. It just needs some attention to detail.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com