not a blowfish but different for Me

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

not a blowfish but different for Me

Post by notow1 »

I thought I would try to make a sitter. All comments and advice are appreciated, thanks, Norm.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ratimus

Re: not a blowfish but different for Me

Post by Ratimus »

Great job on the stain. Looks like you got a pretty good shine, too. Drilling looks good, symmetry looks good. I think the shank might look better if it was slightly curved instead of dead straight, or maybe if it was a little thicker. As it is it doesn't quite "jive" with the rest of the pipe. Also, it looks like the top and bottom parts of your saddle are not in the same plane/ don't line up perfectly. The bit looks a little thick near the button. Overall, I like it. The birdseye on the sides is especially nice.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by d.huber »

Hey Norm!

Not too shabby on the finish there.

Overall, the pipe looks a bit out of balance. That's a fairly narrow shank for such a stout bowl.

IMO, the widest point on the bowl when viewed from the front is too high, making the pipe feel top heavy. On the next one, try pulling the widest point on the bowl down to about the mid-point. I think really what you want on a pipe like this is a billiard bowl with a flat bottom.

I think we discussed this at Chicago, but do your best to clean up the shank/stem junction. This one looks a little sloppy. Did you buff with the stem on or off?

Your saddle is a bit too crisp for me where it transitions into the stem and is not symmetrical top to bottom. A gentle swoop from the saddle to the stem is very attractive and I think that all you need to do is add a little more meat in there to make that saddle look nice. Just enough to get rid of the seam, I think.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Hi Norm. Having seen many of your pipes I have to say you have improved greatly. Now to continue this, I would look at what Mr. Huber has stated and make another with these thoughts in mind. imho I think sometimes you rush it. My example for one would be the centering of your stem. I know you had to see it. Thats what it is all about. Being able to see it and correct it, then next time you will do it right. I see good things for you. John :)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Definitely an improvement. Keep up the good work. David is spot on. These details are frustrating to figure out. It takes a lot of practice to get to them straightened out. Keep it up and you'll do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Thanks to all for the advice. I never noticed the saddle not being even and that ties in with what John said about rushing things. I am going to make sure I do a thorough inspection at each step and know that it is done to the best of My ability. I do sand and buff with the stem attached but I made the rookie mistake of buffing with the junction instead of across the junction. John, You are correct that I am/was rushing things but I joined a self help group called pipe makers forum and They are helping Me overcome this problem. I appreciate the comments and advice and it makes Me feel that I am a step closer to making good pipes, thanks, Norm.