Long shank

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
cmueller

Long shank

Post by cmueller »

Fire away!

Literaryworkshop

Re: Long shank

Post by Literaryworkshop »

You're right. That IS a long shank.
- Steve S.
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Love it, that is a stunner.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Shank looks nice and straight with clean lines. The saddle needs to be more rounded , they are tough to get right. The stain is uneven on mid - shank and left side of bowl. The bottom of the bowl looks confused. It doesn't know if it's a billiard or a flat botttom sitter. Overall it looks pretty good. As a personal opinion I think the bowl could use a more "curvey" body but that depends on your goal
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Shank and stem look good. I'd recommend making the saddle more defined instead of more rounded.

As solomon noted, work on the bowl. Cant it forward a bit.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Meh, it could be longer, it still fits on my monitor after all. That is a really handsom pipe though. It looks like it would match well with a darkfired kentuky blend.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The shadows, reflections, and background make it difficult to really see the shape well. It appears to me to be a long shanked pot with a saddle stem. If you were shooting for a billiard, you need to bring the waist of the bowl up and taper the bowl from there to the rim ever so slightly. Then round the bottom of the bowl more. As it is, the bowl appears like it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's hard to tell in the pictures but I suspect the shank is too concentric from bowl to bit. A very slight taper is necessary to prevent the illusion that the shank reverse tapers. Also, I think the saddle would look better if it was a touch longer and cut more crisply.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

Thanks everyone for the comments. I agree that the pipe doesn't know what it wants to be, to be honest, I didn't know either so I wanted to see what happen. Thanks again