New high speed shaping/carving tool

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

New high speed shaping/carving tool

Post by LatakiaLover »

Forget belt and disk sanders, this is the ticket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKg0gbRFns#
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: New high speed shaping/carving tool

Post by baweaverpipes »

George, you have too much free time on your hands.
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

:shock: I know what I want for the zombie apocalypse.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

baweaverpipes wrote:George, you have too much free time on your hands.
I just get up and take a swing through some bookmarked news sites, is all, morning newspaper style. (Whippersnappers: Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, writing was on paper... and a 24 hour collection of events was distributed each morning to your home on it. Shocking, I know. The object was called a "newspaper." People would often read it while eating breakfast.)

Both then and now, to add a bit of interest to the usual roll call of crooked politicians, the Middle East's latest war, and corporate greed, editors sprinkle odd stories about things you don't see much. In this case a high speed wood carving tool.

Since posting links is quick and easy, some of the relevant ones end up here. Doesn't take long at all.

But thank you for your concern. :mrgreen:
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

George has all this free time because he started rough shaping with the new shaping tool. You should see how it chews through ebonite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
socrates

Post by socrates »

Tree removal/mulch in place. Wonder if it could grind a house to the ground lol.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

We have several plantation forests on Dartmoor, they use something similar to clear up after they have taken out the money making trees. Never seen one in action but have seen the devastation.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

caskwith wrote:We have several plantation forests on Dartmoor, they use something similar to clear up after they have taken out the money making trees. Never seen one in action but have seen the devastation.
So, they plant trees like a crop in Yorkshire, do something with them that makes money, then grind them away after they no longer produce fruit (or whatever)?

Sounds to me like a lovely way to spoil one of the world's most spectacular examples of glorious solitude and visual beauty. Because the process would have to be ongoing, like a checkerboard. :evil:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

What a waste!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

That looks like Tim West with briar on a 36 grit wheel. The difference: There usually is a pipe left after the grinding.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I need to mow my trees this week. I may get one of these.

Rad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

PremalChheda wrote:That looks like Tim West with briar on a 36 grit wheel. The difference: There usually is a pipe left after the grinding.
I've seen him do it. Criss-crossed belts, pulleys, and idlers running off a 20 hp motor so he gets to a quarter million rpm or something. It's quite the show. :lol:
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

LatakiaLover wrote:
caskwith wrote:We have several plantation forests on Dartmoor, they use something similar to clear up after they have taken out the money making trees. Never seen one in action but have seen the devastation.
So, they plant trees like a crop in Yorkshire, do something with them that makes money, then grind them away after they no longer produce fruit (or whatever)?

Sounds to me like a lovely way to spoil one of the world's most spectacular examples of glorious solitude and visual beauty. Because the process would have to be ongoing, like a checkerboard. :evil:

Yorkshire! How dare you, I live in Devon!

The trees grown on the plantation are used for lumber, paper etc. A lot of the ones grown on Dartmoor are used for telegraph poles as they are conifers. After they have reached the sized required they cut them down, grind away the stumps and undergrowth and then plant again. It may sound terrible but the plantation forests are actually rather wonderful, when they are not felling they are all open to public and are great for walking, shrooming etc. It takes years, decades even for the trees to be ready for harvesting, in the mean time they are full of wildlife and lovely places to spend time.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

caskwith wrote:

The trees grown on the plantation are used for lumber, paper etc. A lot of the ones grown on Dartmoor are used for telegraph poles as they are conifers. After they have reached the sized required they cut them down, grind away the stumps and undergrowth and then plant again. It may sound terrible but the plantation forests are actually rather wonderful, when they are not felling they are all open to public and are great for walking, shrooming etc. It takes years, decades even for the trees to be ready for harvesting, in the mean time they are full of wildlife and lovely places to spend time.
I thought all the Hound of the Baskervilles type moor country was up north.

Looks like I need to visit as a tourist one day to get a better map in my head. :lol:

Cool to hear that the planted forests are neat places in England. Here in the US, Weyerhauser and the like just grow miles of ugly, spindly stuff to make into chipboard and plywood, and it's off limits to the public.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Nope the Hound of the Baskervilles was set on Dartmoor which covers a large part of Devon. :)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I didn't realize you English people still used telegraph. Here, we have this cool thing called email.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Emails run through telegraph lines ;)
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Here we call them telephone poles no matter what type of utility is run on them. The English keep a firm hand on their traditions so since they were first used for telegraph they will be called that forever. Even after Google Fiber makes the jump across the pond :D
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

LatakiaLover wrote:
caskwith wrote:

I thought all the Hound of the Baskervilles type moor country was up north.

Looks like I need to visit as a tourist one day to get a better map in my head. :lol:

Cool to hear that the planted forests are neat places in England. Here in the US, Weyerhauser and the like just grow miles of ugly, spindly stuff to make into chipboard and plywood, and it's off limits to the public.
Not true. Weyerhauser has thousands of acres in SE Oklahoma that are exactly as Chris described. They are excellent wildlife management areas and open to camping, hunting , hiking, OHV's etc. There is a reasonable use fee thats not too bad. The land I'm thinking of is north of Broken Bow if you wanted to google it, it is a beautiful area.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Alden wrote: Not true. Weyerhauser has thousands of acres in SE Oklahoma that are exactly as Chris described. They are excellent wildlife management areas and open to camping, hunting , hiking, OHV's etc. There is a reasonable use fee thats not too bad. The land I'm thinking of is north of Broken Bow if you wanted to google it, it is a beautiful area.
Sounds like they are modernizing and/or starting to be concerned with their public image.

As a flatbedder I hauled a fair amount of plywood, mostly out of the Northwest. Saw lots of corporate "tree farms" in the process. Not the sort of places anyone would want to spend any time. Figured they were all like that. Good to hear they aren't.

As for keeping straight all the shires and moors and counties in England, the entire country is like 500 acres, right? (or is it measured in Cricket fields?), so I figured the distinctions only mattered if you lived there. :twisted: Otherwise, it's city folk in London eating fish and chips; farmers all round them eating bangers, mash, and unpasturized Stilton; and a cliff-y seashore around the entire place to keep the ocean out. And everyone drinking beer and playing darts, of course. Did I miss something?