Squat Natural Pot

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

Squat Natural Pot

Post by scotties22 »

I like this little pipe quite a bit. I think I am going to make a wider version of it soon....maybe a touch taller too.

Length: 5.20"
Height: 1.14""
Chamber: .75" x .94"
Weight: 28 grams

Still figuring out my new camera. My pictures are getting better, but there are a lot of settings and buttons.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Charl

Re: Squat Natural Pot

Post by Charl »

A bit "odd", but interesting.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Just like me :)

It was a really really weird little piece of wood ( 1.5" w x 1.2" t x right around 4" l) . I guess I could have made a squat apple or prince out of it, but I picked the damned thing up and it said it wanted to be a squished little pot. Who am I to argue with briar? Then again it was 2 in the morning and I had way too much coffee that day......maybe I was just hearing things.

I am hoping it catches on and I can make some more. I really like it and I have a few more blocks that I don't know what else I could do with them.
www.ladybriar.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

I like it. Since its a blast, I would tighten up the shank/bowl junction. The tight lines on the rest of the pipe would probably benefit from a tighter radii.

andrew
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

I like the proportions but there is a bit too much can't to the bowl for me. The noticeable angle of the rim of the bowl compared to the top line of the shank creates a bit of discord to my eye. With those proportions, I think keeping everything to almost right angles would bring things together visually.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

It looks to me like you've shaped the top of the bowl to "imitate" a cant. The bowl drill should be perpendicular to the top of the bowl, and yours doesn't look like that.

I could be wrong. :)

Rad
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Is that a divot down there at the bottom of the chamber or a trick of the light? If it is how thin does it get at that point? The stem looks really comfortable except for those sharpish edges on the button. That's probably just my personal preference though. Actually never mind it would mess up the lines if they were slightly rounded wouldn't it.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Ocyd wrote:Is that a divot down there at the bottom of the chamber or a trick of the light? If it is how thin does it get at that point? .
Dude, that's a magnetic metal ball that most all of us use for pipe photography. There's a stand with a big magnet hidden under the cloth. :lol:

Rad
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

RadDavis wrote:
Ocyd wrote:Is that a divot down there at the bottom of the chamber or a trick of the light? If it is how thin does it get at that point? .
Dude, that's a magnetic metal ball that most all of us use for pipe photography. There's a stand with a big magnet hidden under the cloth. :lol:

Rad
What? magnets!?! I will not stand for this sorcery. Have you guys even read the studies on the effects of low level magnetic fields because, uhm, I'm sure such things exist and warn of dire consequences .... :oops:
:lol:

Ah hah I was right apparently using magnets to photograph your pipes will cause them to attract ghosts. Although I didn't read most of it the Google search lead me to believe that is what this page says http://www.liparanormalinvestigators.com/emf.shtml
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

RadDavis wrote:It looks to me like you've shaped the top of the bowl to "imitate" a cant. The bowl drill should be perpendicular to the top of the bowl, and yours doesn't look like that.

Rad

I'm so glad I finally get to say this to you. YOU ARE WRONG! There...got that out of my system. It is drilled at about 4 degrees. I just can't (pun kind of intended) help myself. 2 degrees just doesn't seem enough. I did show considerable restaint on my contest billiard and it was right at 3 degrees. I am trying to reel myself in a bit, but when I draw something up it always leans a little more forward than it should.
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Ocyd wrote:Is that a divot down there at the bottom of the chamber or a trick of the light? If it is how thin does it get at that point? The stem looks really comfortable except for those sharpish edges on the button. That's probably just my personal preference though. Actually never mind it would mess up the lines if they were slightly rounded wouldn't it.

I am magical. These are actually pictures of a Wooly Mammoth. If you look at the 3 pictures for 3 minutes while standing on your head you will see it :lol:

The edges of the button are rounded, I promise. There are no sharp edges on my stems at all. After about the third GKCPC meeting in a row that George and Quinton yelled at me for sharp edges on the pipes I brought I started making sure they are all sanded smooth. It's an obstical illusion and I blame it on the placement of the tusks on the Mammoth.
www.ladybriar.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

scotties22 wrote:
RadDavis wrote:It looks to me like you've shaped the top of the bowl to "imitate" a cant. The bowl drill should be perpendicular to the top of the bowl, and yours doesn't look like that.

Rad

I'm so glad I finally get to say this to you. YOU ARE WRONG!
Well, I said I could be. :lol:

Rad
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

It looks pretty and well made, but I think the shank is way to long and possibly a bit too thin for a short and fat bowl like that.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

It looks to me like you've shaped the top of the bowl to "imitate" a cant. The bowl drill should be perpendicular to the top of the bowl, and yours doesn't look like that.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

LatakiaLover wrote:It looks to me like you've shaped the top of the bowl to "imitate" a cant. The bowl drill should be perpendicular to the top of the bowl, and yours doesn't look like that.
Want me to tell you that you're wrong too? We all know you are a gluten for punishment ;)
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Well... maybe.

But now that I'm lookin' at it again, I'm wondering Is that a divot down there at the bottom of the chamber or a trick of the light? If it is how thin does it get at that point? The stem looks really comfortable except for those sharpish edges on the button. That's probably just my personal preference though. Actually never mind it would mess up the lines if they were slightly rounded wouldn't it?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

I think you should use those extra peices of wood you were talking about and send all of us doubters one of these just to shut us up. Yes sir'ry I think that'll teach us all a lesson.
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

LatakiaLover wrote:Well... maybe.

But now that I'm lookin' at it again, I'm wondering Is that a divot down there at the bottom of the chamber or a trick of the light? If it is how thin does it get at that point? The stem looks really comfortable except for those sharpish edges on the button. That's probably just my personal preference though. Actually never mind it would mess up the lines if they were slightly rounded wouldn't it?
I've researched they are probably haunted too :whisper:
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Nicely finished and shaped. A slimmer shank for the bowl would make it look proportional.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Magic, divots, haints, Your work is getting better by the hard work you are putting into it.I don't like the can't either, Did somebody say free Briar? I like the button, We would be at a loss without you. Just curious, how did you shape this pipe?