Fabulous...

General pipe discussion
bscofield

Fabulous...

Post by bscofield »

Anyone know how approx. much these would have fetched? These are both awesome, IMO.

http://www.scandpipes.com/pipes/uniDBfi ... 227&ID=605

and

http://www.scandpipes.com/pipes/uniDBfi ... 227&ID=604
ToddJohnson

Re: Fabulous...

Post by ToddJohnson »

bscofield wrote:Anyone know how approx. much these would have fetched? These are both awesome, IMO.

http://www.scandpipes.com/pipes/uniDBfi ... 227&ID=605

and

http://www.scandpipes.com/pipes/uniDBfi ... 227&ID=604
The owner is a good customer of mine and, if I remember, I think it was aobut $5K for the pair. I don't know how it broke down though.

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Oh wow... same person bought both? That's awesome.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Gorgeous pipes. I saw him making the first one on his web cam. Too cool!

So often, I think that the bamboo used in pipes is too clunky. Too big and ovrwhelms the grace of a pipe. Bamboo gives a much bigger feeling than its acual diameter, IMHO. Additionally, a stummel needs real presence to balance out the bamboo. These two pipes are excelent examples of the use of bamboo IMHO. Just gorgeous.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Those are some unique pieces.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

As Nick, I also watched the birth of these pieces via Mr. Eltang's web cam. Very very awesome.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Dang.

I have to give Tom the nod as the best in the world. He pulls off the amazing over, and over, and over, and...

Dang.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

If I could quote the famous pipemaker Tyler Beard,

"Dang."

Seems appropriate. Those are pretty incredible pieces.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ScoJo wrote:If I could quote the famous pipemaker Tyler Beard,

"Dang."

Seems appropriate. Those are pretty incredible pieces.
:lol:
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

......I guess I am the only traditionalist here. :oops:

I just don't get them... :think:

They are certainly unusual but their forms are so impractical. :dunno:

Now, I know some "knowledgable" person is going to want to educate me as to the lack of emphasis placed upon practicality with such a pipe :boohoo: but that doesn't mean it makes sense. :naughty:

I like pipes that are practical to smoke and the beauty of the pipe stems from its utilitarian style. Ironically, "Scandinavian design" in the furniture and the architecture industries is known for its utilitarian approach and style. Function before form, not the other way around.

This seems to be reversed for the pipe industry (i.e. Form before function).

That said…..they are very pretty pipes!!:P
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Brendhain wrote:......I guess I am the only traditionalist here. :oops:

I just don't get them... :think:

They are certainly unusual but their forms are so impractical. :dunno:
Out of curiosity Brian, what do you find impractical about them? Their length? The way you'd hold it? Flimsy? I've never owned a pipe like this so I don't really know what would be the cons to using it. It still has a bowl to hold, a shank and a stem. I know that's being overly simplistic, but what's the part that would make it impractical? I hope this sounds like a question and not like I'm trying to prove a point...
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

From my own view:

My experience with pipes like that is limited to about 6 pipes(not that there is anything wrong with it!). I have had several meerschaum with very long stems and "large" bowls. Plus, couple of the bamboo/briar combination. I had them when I was younger and thought it was cool puff on the big thing. :oops:

In addition to this, I managed a pipe shop, while studying, and we had a couple of high-rollers who liked them. So, we always had some coming in and going out of the shop.

The briar ones are somewhat better to hold then the meerschaum ones. The meerschaum ones tend to too large and awkward to grasp (not that there is anything wrong with it!). Perhaps that says something to you about my relationship with pipes. I hold my meerschaums. Many don’t for fear of negatively affecting the coloring of the pipe(not that there is anything wrong with it!). I like to smoke pipes and take very good care of them. I use so many pipe cleaners when I smoke and afterwards that I hardly get any cake build up in my tobacco chambers. I haven’t had to ream a bowl in 5 or 6 years, at the least, because I rarely get more than a dime thickness of cake. In brief, I am not one of those guys who wants to run around and smoke and bang the tobacco out on the bottom of my shoe. I take very good care of them, as smoking instruments. I mainly smoke while reading, down at the pub or with wine and friends.

I am a clincher (and I am not ashamed to admit it!!). These pipes are not made for being held by one’s teeth(not that there is anything wrong with it!). This necessitates holding the pipe in your hand the entire time, especially since most of these cannot be set down on a table in a practical fashion. I like the use of both of my hands, it really helps to turn pages when I am reading!! I have seen a couple of Todd Johnson’s pipes that could be balanced (i.e. they were “sitters”). This would help the situation a bit but I imagine they are stand quite precariously at best.

Most tend to be fragile, so one must be delicate with them(not that there is anything wrong with it!).. The ones that are not too fragile tend to be flexible, or get that way after use. Not a quality I like in a pipe.

I like pipes that are made to smoke, not pipes that are made to sit on a shelf and show to people when they visit(not that there is anything wrong with it!).

A good wine is meant to be drank and a good pipe should be made to be smoked.

Brendhain “Brian” Diamond
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Brendhain wrote:I like to smoke pipes and take very good care of them. I use so many pipe cleaners when I smoke and afterwards that I hardly get any cake build up in my tobacco chambers.
Uuuh . . . how do pipecleaners keep cake from forming on the walls of the tobacco chamber?
A good wine is meant to be drank and a good pipe should be made to be smoked.

Brendhain “Brian” Diamond
Both of these pipes are made to be smoked. The engineering is perfectly sound and there is absolutely no reason that they need to be set on a shelf and become show pieces. I do not dispute that a "good pipe is meant to be smoked," but it doesn't have to be a strictly utilitarian object either. If you want a pipe to toss around in your pick-up truck or smoke while you're mowing the lawn then, yes, both of these are impractical. There is no reason, however, that either of these pieces can't be enjoyed while having "wine with friends" or while reading a book, or while watching a movie, or listening to CD's, or writing a letter (they both sit if you'll notice). But I digress. To each his/her own, sure, but I just want to point out that both of these pipes should be excellent smokers and very well suited for particular smoking situations.

Todd
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Ahh…there you are Todd, I was sure that you would chime in after I wrote that last entry. See what trouble you got me into bscofield!
Uuuh . . . how do pipe-cleaners keep cake from forming on the walls of the tobacco chamber?
It is quite simple Todd, after cleaning out the draft hole with many cleaners; I am left with a small pile of used pipe cleaners. I bend 4 or 5 of them in into a "U" shape that is just larger than the diameter of the bowl. I run these in and out of the tobacco chamber several times each and remove any loose carbon left in the bowl. I am sure that the cleaners also work a bit of the cake away, also. Ever since I started using this technique, every time I smoke, I have not had to ream the cake out of the tobacco chambers. I recommend that you try it.
your pick-up truck or smoke while you're mowing the lawn
I own no pickup trucks (I am not the type) and I do not have a lawn (since I live in the center of a city) but if I did then I wouldn't smoke while mowing nor would I throw a pipe into the back of the truck (I thought I made it quite clear as to what I am doing while smoking).

I simply prefer the practical over the impractical. It is a mater of personal taste. There is nothing wrong with those who like the less practical pipes but the pipes are less practical, even when one is simply sitting and reading or drinking with friends. Some pipes can be easily held in ones mouth (and you can turn your head and everything!!) and others can be held not so easily. I like the “easily” ones, not the “not so easily.”

By "pipes that are made to be smoked" I did not mean for you to infer that those types of pipes were not “smokable”. I am sure the engineering is very sound but one must recognize that a billiard (for example) is a much more “practical” pipe for reading or drinking wine, etc. The ability to have use of both of one’s hands comes in very handy (if you will excuse the pun!). If you cannot acknowledge that simple truth then there is no point in having a dialogue.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

BrendHain, so one could assume that you would rate any churchwarden the same? As unpractical?
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

I must admit, I am with Brendhain on the side of »Form follows function.«

I believe those beautiful sort of pipes are more towards the aesthetic »form-end« of the swing of that pendulum between form and function that lies within all design processes.
I myself believe, that form and function are basically not two viewpoints that have to be balanced, but form has to follow function. In the way of attempting to reach the first goal – function – lies the wide field of balancing form towards function.

There was a discussion about Eltangs 30th anniversary pipe around here, which made clear, that for some people, the function of a pipe might be defined by other means than pure smokeability. There is obviously a need for a perception of value and uniqueness, that doesn't come from the pipe alone, especially as smoking qualities hardly ever will be evaluated. I noticed most of you thought this to be rather strange and sad. It looks like a pipe, it probably feels like one in your hands, but it will never be a pipe, because it will never be allowed to be smoked.

If there is an appropriate answer to these special needs not seeking for the more practical pipe, and this answer still includes a smokeable pipe, this still is a perfect job a pipemaker can deliver. But it's made to match this special request.

Basically, I believe pipe design should be focussing on practical considerations. I think a pipe should be a compagnion, some kind of buddy, that makes it possible for me to enjoy smoking. I don't want to smoke ugly pipes, even if they are good smokers, so I am more pleased buy smoking a designed pipe, too.
But there is still a parallel line to my profession as a typographer. If typography tends too far to wanting to be a design statement of it's own, it often decreases legibility of text. For me it is always: Text and it's content is king. No way around that, if you don't have to brush up a boring text written by an uninspired author.
Best thing a typographer can do every day is to find a design, the reader doesn't take (negative) notice of, since he is completely sought up by reading a text. There should be nothing in my work disturbing him in that. It should make it easy on him. Best thing I rarely can do is to find a form which even enhances and underlines the informational or emotional content of a text.
And then there are still unique typographic designs, that make a statement of it's own. They are outstanding, they are beuatiful, and I bow my back in front of some of them.
But everyday reading and pipesmoking is something different. By saying everyday I am neither talking about reading a paragraph in a yellow-press front page, nor about smoking a hurried pipe while working in the garden, but of reading a good book or having to understand a complicated text or – on the smoking side – getting to the enjoayble smoking experience we all have. I believe, that moments are best with that design standing back behind tose more practical matters. That might sound simple.
I don't know too much about pipe design yet, but from my profession I do know even that simple sounding everyday designwork is painfully hard to do, if I measure it by the quality of really not disturbing the reader. Not to mention the quality of backing up the content. The outstanding designs I mentioned earlier are only functionable and of a high aesthetic quality, if done by an artist who knows about each and every practical matter, and has been all the way down there, knowing, it's no shame to work on this seemingly lower niveau.
Therefore I personally don't like the almost religious respectful murmuring about these outstanding examples of pipe design, since they might become the only goal we all want to achieve. We might lose our eye for the »everyday« considerations of our craftmanship. And then we will never be able to come to the point where we maybe could do something special.
There has to be a goal to go for. But a narrow focus around it might be the obstacle that keeps us from reaching it.

Lot of philosophical bla bla of one of that that ol’ classical dilemmas. No value added for the workbench. But from my viewpoint – might as well be worth 1 Euro-cent only – to be taken into consideration.

Alex
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

bscofield,
Again, this is just my opinion for my own use of pipes. As to churchwardens, I don't much care for them but they are one of the most practical of the impractical styled pipes. They are, typically, small bowled and lightweight. These aspects help make it less awkward but I would still prefer not to smoke them.

Plus, the general public thinks pipe smokers under 40 look dork enough as it is, we don't have to give them fodder! :P