Jeff Gracik is a brave man. VERY brave.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Jeff Gracik is a brave man. VERY brave.

Post by LatakiaLover »

He subbed a pipemaking video to Reddit. Not one of their obscure specialty boards, either, but a default one. (Meaning it has MILLIONS of subscribers.)

Why brave? Because Reddit is not known for its reasonableness when it comes to hot-button social issues. They much prefer to lynch first and ask questions never.

He managed to win 'em over, though. Color me amazed.

Great work, Jeff. Keep it up! 8)

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments ... ipe_maker/
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Re: Jeff Gracik is a brave man. VERY brave.

Post by jjpipes »

That's amazing
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

This is a great video- I love watching a pipe come together start to finish, throw in Jeff talking about why he makes pipes, and it's awesome. It's no wonder this resonates with people- times are changing.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Yak

Post by Yak »

:notworthy: Nice ! :thumbsup:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Fantastic video and only a tiny speck of trolling.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
jeff

Post by jeff »

Chalk it up to my ignorance. I've been a redditor for a while...and knew its ways. But, man, I don't think I was prepared for the negativity. Fortunately, there were lots of people who were intrigued and even introduced to hand made pipes because of it. And thank goodness MOST people seemed to like it. I was holding my breath there for a while, though.

The J&J guys made the mini-doc for me and I think they did an amazing job. They're really talented artists, both of them. Thanks to those of you who saw the video and upvoted (hopefully!). I think it would be really great to introduce people who maybe enjoyed pipes on their own to the wider world of the pipe community. If this video can be the thing that makes the connection, then I would be delighted.

And, I gotta say, I'm stunned by the view count it's garnered already. Crazy. 20k in one day for a little video about pipes?! Jared and John knocked this out of the park!
LatakiaLover wrote:He subbed a pipemaking video to Reddit. Not one of their obscure specialty boards, either, but a default one. (Meaning it has MILLIONS of subscribers.)

Why brave? Because Reddit is not known for its reasonableness when it comes to hot-button social issues. They much prefer to lynch first and ask questions never.

He managed to win 'em over, though. Color me amazed.

Great work, Jeff. Keep it up! 8)

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments ... ipe_maker/
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

This, as all you do, came from the heart. I'm proud to know you and grateful you have the ability to touch others. Great Job! John.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

jeff wrote:Chalk it up to my ignorance. I've been a redditor for a while...and knew its ways. But, man, I don't think I was prepared for the negativity. Fortunately, there were lots of people who were intrigued and even introduced to hand made pipes because of it. And thank goodness MOST people seemed to like it. I was holding my breath there for a while, though.

The J&J guys made the mini-doc for me and I think they did an amazing job. They're really talented artists, both of them. Thanks to those of you who saw the video and upvoted (hopefully!). I think it would be really great to introduce people who maybe enjoyed pipes on their own to the wider world of the pipe community. If this video can be the thing that makes the connection, then I would be delighted.

And, I gotta say, I'm stunned by the view count it's garnered already. Crazy. 20k in one day for a little video about pipes?! Jared and John knocked this out of the park!
I found the negativity amusing and baseless- nothing out of the ordinary for the internet. I loved the sticker-shock when people asked for pricing! :lol:

I think videos like this are really helpful to the pipe community's perception- just remember that the people who will be writing/influencing legislation in 20yrs are browsing Reddit today.

Oh- you make pretty decent pipes too! :D

Curiosity- did you make that pipe start to finish for the video? Or is it different pipes at different stages cut together?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/