The psychology of rarity

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
oklahoma red

Re: The psychology of rarity

Post by oklahoma red »

I got a big tin of "Crown" from Peretti and it's not identical to King Charles, but it's very, very good and in a similar vein. Anyone ever heard of it? Of course not.
Way to go Sas, you big furball. Now this stuff will be as hard to get as Penzance. :lol:
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Todd sticks his head in here every now and then. It would be interesting to hear his take on this along with his Asian adventures.[/quote]

I am sure he understands it better than I do.
sam a

Post by sam a »

kamkiel wrote:You know Todd Johnson has his name on a brand called Neptune out here in Chinar.
FWIW... they are making the Neptune and Icarus pipes in Nashville if I understood Todd correctly, and he is currently not producing any pipes in China.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

sam a wrote:
kamkiel wrote:You know Todd Johnson has his name on a brand called Neptune out here in Chinar.
FWIW... they are making the Neptune and Icarus pipes in Nashville if I understood Todd correctly, and he is currently not producing any pipes in China.
I had heard that he'd bailed on the Red Menace. Quality problems as I recall it. Ya think??? Surely not!!!
sam a

Post by sam a »

sheesh... i'm all about candor in discussion of QC and common production practices of some factories from this region or that... but i think the line of crazy racist shit was crossed about a page back. lets reel it in, eh?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sam a wrote:sheesh... i'm all about candor in discussion of QC and common production practices of some factories from this region or that... but i think the line of crazy racist shit was crossed about a page back. lets reel it in, eh?
Ah... I'm pretty sure that a country's economic policies are separate and distinct from biology, Sam.

"Crazy racist shit"? Really? :lol:

The conditioning is strong with this one. :roll:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sam a

Post by sam a »

george... i was referring to the comments like this.
oklahoma red wrote: I say kill'em all and let God sort it out.
i don't see much about a countries economic policies in that comment.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Well I guess I should have been more to the point: kill all the commie bastards that rule over the great Chinese people with tyranny and oppression and let God sort it out.
As I mentioned earlier, the thread was getting way off topic as they often do but rest assured that any future snide remarks I make about the ass holes running China will be spot on specific as I have absolutely nothing against the Chinese people in general. It's the government, military and the predatory business practices that I have a problem with.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sam a wrote:george... i was referring to the comments like this.
oklahoma red wrote: I say kill'em all and let God sort it out.
i don't see much about a countries economic policies in that comment.
I only see the hyperbolic-for-effect "...kill'em all...", and since the discussion to that point had been about the quality of goods exported by a particular country, I thought the pronominal phrase referred to... get this... the people responsible for making the (frequently) low-quality goods that are exported from that country, not the genetic makeup of the people who inhabit it.

Ever heard of a concept called "Six Degrees of Separation"? (if not, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation )

There's a distorted version of it going on in your head, I think, where you see connections that don't exist. A way can always be found to accuse anyone of anything, if you want to badly enough.

It's funny. Tedious, but funny.

Anyway, Chas is one of the most intelligent and fair-minded men I know. In fact (ironically), in this instance it was that very fair-mindedness which fueled his outrage.
Alden

Post by Alden »

So a Indian, a Redneck and a Nigerian walk into a bar...
Wait you said not racist ??
Damn I got nothing.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Ryan, tell us about the radio stations down in Texas.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Ryan, tell us about the radio stations down in Texas.
When I was a whippersnapper, Texas was flooded every night with zillion-watt Mexican "X" radio stations built along the border. (The name came from their call sign always beginning with the letter X, like XTRA.)

It was the wild west to be sure. Our FCC couldn't touch them. :lol:

Texas' most famous rockin' blues band even wrote a song about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPAR2zSV84I

Good times. :D
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

LatakiaLover wrote: I thought the pronominal phrase referred to... get this... the people responsible for making the (frequently) low-quality goods that are exported from that country, .
So you guys were talking about the corporate heads of companies and businesses that make low quality goods?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

kamkiel wrote:
So you guys were talking about the corporate heads of companies and businesses that make low quality goods?
More specifically, goods that aren't just low quality (every country makes those), but products that are deliberately deceptive and/or harmful. Spiking pet food with Melamine, for example, to raise its (apparent) protein content when tested by U.S. inspectors. Thousands of cats and dogs in this country were killed by kidney failure because of it, but no one knew what was happening until AFTER the assholes in China had pocketed the extra profit. (Melamine is much cheaper than animal potein.)

So, yeah. The corporate heads, and anyone else in the chain of decision-making that leads to such bullshit. Which, in the case of China, is a LOT of people. Bait & switch tactics are practically a cultural tradition over there. (Milton Friedman would be proud.)
Alden

Post by Alden »

It doesn't translate well to the written word, but here goes;
(BrrrrrtttRRRRRR-O A haHahaHaa)
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

LatakiaLover wrote:
kamkiel wrote:
More specifically, goods that aren't just low quality (every country makes those), but products that are deliberately deceptive and/or harmful. Spiking pet food with Melamine, for example, to raise its (apparent) protein content when tested by U.S. inspectors. Thousands of cats and dogs in this country were killed by kidney failure because of it, but no one knew what was happening until AFTER the assholes in China had pocketed the extra profit. (Melamine is much cheaper than animal potein.)

So, yeah. The corporate heads, and anyone else in the chain of decision-making that leads to such bullshit. Which, in the case of China, is a LOT of people. Bait & switch tactics are practically a cultural tradition over there. (Milton Friedman would be proud.)
For sure, I understand. It is definite a Capitalist wild west kind of thing going on here. I lot of Chinese have no idea what products should be trusted, what products are safe, and what products are fake. The consumer market here is under a lot of stress because of all this, and that is probably why they are willing to pay top dollars for imported products. They took Adam Smith's book and ran with it, and maybe added a few pages about Melamine to it too.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:
When I was a whippersnapper, Texas was flooded every night with zillion-watt Mexican "X" radio stations built along the border. (The name came from their call sign always beginning with the letter X, like XTRA.)

It was the wild west to be sure. Our FCC couldn't touch them. :lol:

Texas' most famous rockin' blues band even wrote a song about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPAR2zSV84I

Good times. :D
Ah yes, XERB and Wolfman Jack. Studio was in Del Rio but the transmitter was across the river in Mexico. You could listen all the way to Canada.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Alden wrote:
It doesn't translate well to the written word, but here goes;
(BrrrrrtttRRRRRR-O A haHahaHaa)
I'll tell you 'bout Texas Radio and the Big Beat
Soft drivin', slow and mad, like some new language

Now, listen to this, and I'll tell you 'bout the Texas
I'll tell you 'bout the Texas Radio
I'll tell you 'bout the hopeless night
Wandering the Western dream
Tell you 'bout the maiden with wrought iron soul
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

RadDavis wrote: I'll tell you 'bout Texas Radio and the Big Beat
Soft drivin', slow and mad, like some new language

Now, listen to this, and I'll tell you 'bout the Texas
I'll tell you 'bout the Texas Radio
I'll tell you 'bout the hopeless night
Wandering the Western dream
Tell you 'bout the maiden with wrought iron soul
Recently discovered HD video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prWeT6tQt-w
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Another border radio inspired song. First version is the Blasters playing it live on stage 35 years ago; the second one is Dave Alvin (the guy who wrote it) doing a slowed down, acoustic solo version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q-izDANZ5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRPyRV8aO7o