Acorn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
mightysmurf8201

Acorn

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Finished this one up last night. I've been getting a number of requests for this one, so this is the fourth of this shape that I've done, but the first time I've made the shank extension this long. I think I like it better with the longer shank extension. Here is an earlier version for reference: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
I know it's not really a standard shape, but any and all critique are welcome.

#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
E.L.Cooley

Re: Acorn

Post by E.L.Cooley »

More light on the subject. Looks great love the green.

Sent from my banana phone.
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

That is absolutely beautiful! Usually I'm one for more traditional shapes and colors, but not this time. :)
Joe Thieman
mightysmurf8201

Thanks guys. Still trying to figure out proper photography. Maybe I'll hit up trusty old youtube.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ok, I'll bite.

As you mentioned this is a difficult shape to critique, however I think there are some design elements that would make this pipe look much better. Some might be personal aesthetics, but some are principles that hold consistent between designs.

First the easy stuff. Your stem has waaaay too much meat on it, especially at the start of the saddle. That's were the easy stuff stops.

Now something a bit more subjective. I believe the briar portion of the shank is too long and your inverse taper is not pronounced enough for that design to look balanced. The problem in my mind is the golden ratio. Having two sections running on the same axis the same length is not a good thing. Look how much better things look when I shorten the shank. Also when I widen the acrylic ferrule and thin the stem it helps with the overall look and feel.

I could be (and probably am) full of crap, but that's my impression. I'd love to hear from some of the big boys on this one.
Attachments
emmanual's acorn.png
emmanual's acorn.png (243.44 KiB) Viewed 697 times
mightysmurf8201

I see what you mean about the stem thing. It could lose some weight and I will work on that in the future.
Now about the proportions of the shank and extension. I agree with your recommendation, it just took someone pointing it out to realize it. I was going for something on the longer side, and was using the following Alex Florov pipe for inspiration:
http://www.florovpipes.com/FlorovPipes- ... =DB1101263
I think that a longer stem like the Florov, while shortening the briar portion of the shank, might change the flow of my acorn just enough to make it more visually pleasing. I'm still playing with this design, but I do want something on the longer side. Any advice? I'm really trying to stay away from a "Florov copycat", while making something that looks good.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

mightysmurf8201 wrote: I'm really trying to stay away from a "Florov copycat", while making something that looks good.
Good artists copy. Great artists steal. Instead of making one that's close, try going for a forgery of a pipe you like. Chances are, you won't get it exact, but the practice and discipline of trying to copy exactly is a helpful exercise. I tried several times last year to copy a pipe I bought from Walt. I don't think I ever gave him any competition, but the process was helpful. Give credit where credit is due, but most pipe makers don't copyright their pipe designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I agree with Jesse concerning the shank and stem. if the stem flare was the same shape on both sides it would help the composition overall. Also there are a lot of convex curves going on, which is fine, but the hard angle on the rim doesnt fit with the rest of the pipe. I came to these conclusions before looking at the inspiration pipe.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

For me, the trick with the extension versus the length of the shank is this:
Shank and extension have a bit of a mirror symmetry going on in shape, but the dividing line isn't exactly center...
It's CLOSE, but not quite. I think you either have to make it dead nuts center, and really play up that mirror symmetry
(which might just satisfy your craving for longer)
OR make it balanced in its ASYMMETRY. It has to be obviously asymmetrical, similar to the "rule of thirds" in photography.
Pick one or the other... I think as it stands, we're not sure if you meant it to be perfectly centered or balanced in an off-center way,
it's too close to both, and doesn't feel like the decision was made one way or the other.

That being said, I REALLY like your color scheme here, rich and nice.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

As much as I always feel the need to agree with anyone who uses the golden ratio 1.62/1 as a basis for design.

Sent from my banana phone.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

sandahlpipe wrote:Good artists copy. Great artists steal.
This.

When I was in college training to be an actor/director/designer, I had the privilege to work with arguably the most influential theatre company in the US and spent a significant amount of time with one of its founding members, Leon Ingulsrud. This phrase was his mantra.

If anyone's curious, look up viewpoints, Anne Bogart, or the SITI Company. They have a lot to teach artists in any discipline.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
mightysmurf8201

Oddly enough, after doing a bit of research, it turns out that the Florov Dublin was a product of inspiration from another similar pipe made by Jorn Micke. I don't feel so bad now :)
Seamonster, I didn't actually measure anything exactly on this pipe, aside from the drilling, so any alignments/misalignments and proportions are just a product of eyeballing it.
Thanks everyone for your input and advice on this pipe. The next one will be a flawless masterpiece! :thumbsup:
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
Charl

Post by Charl »

I think this pipe is very amorphous, there's too much going on and no harmony.
Don't know if this makes any sense and too dumb to try and explain! :lol: