another lovat

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

another lovat

Post by billiard »

5 and 7/8" long, 1.75" high, .75" X 1.5" chamber, 34 grams, black blast, Mimmo briar, and an Ebonite and Faux Ivory stem.

There is plenty I'm happy with on this one, I like the bowl, the proportions, the blast, and on a short stem I prefer a saddle over a tapered stem. This short and unless you get thin real fast with a taper you got spread lips which isn't comfy, so I like this style saddle. I also like nearing vertical lines on saddles, I dislike the slow slopes. Nonetheless this stem was a bugger to make as it was too short for my strip sander, obviously it can be improved, but I like it for now.

There is plenty I dislike as well but as I haven't sold this yet I am not going to call them out here :lol: Well for one, my lines are not as tight as I like and the bottom line is exacerbated because of the stamp placement. Left over from rusticating I leave my smooth stamp spot connected to the smooth ring before the stem\shank junction. I think the lines would look cleaner if I moved it farther down the shank.

Insane rain lately but we had a sun break earlier today so I ran outside and took these pics. My pic alignment is not all that great but it doesn't make the pipe look too distorted imo.

Well that's what I think, let me know what you think.

Bill

Wow it's late for me, I hope I made sense :)
sandahlpipe

Re: another lovat

Post by sandahlpipe »

I like it a lot. I'm really into lovats right now. There are two things I think can be improved on. First, the bowl is a tad too wide or a tad too short. It would look more graceful that way. Second, I think the stem should still have a little more taper to it. With both of these things together, you have a stem that looks like it should be on a delicate pipe and a bowl that looks like it should be on a chubby pipe.

I do really like this pipe. It's nicely executed. Keep it up!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Me likes.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I also likes.

andrew
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks for the comments everyone, I appreciate it. :)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I am looking forward to seeing what you put out next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Really nice!!!