Billiard #2 Lundell Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Lundell

Billiard #2 Lundell Pipes

Post by Lundell »

Hi! It's me again, with another billiard. Better grain this time so I gave it some lighter stain. And was rewarded with a few flaws... Also the airhole comes out a tad off center in the chamber. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased. Now you guys point out why I shouldn't be! :wink:
Thanks for looking! :)
wdteipen

Re: Billiard #2 Lundell Pipes

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad. The main thing is that a billiard bowl should be widest at about two thirds of the way down the bowl and should taper slightly from there to the rim. You have straight sides and then the bowl rounds towards the rim in the last 1/8 or so. The degree of bowl cant is a bit more drastic than a traditional billiard but isn't necessarily wrong. The shank and stem look pretty good to me.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I agree it looks pretty good. I'll post a picture showing the proportions of A billiard that i have posted before. Maybe it helps you too. Wayne addressed the bowl pretty well. I will add the the taper at the rim looks like it is going to round over, but doesn't totally make it. The stem from the top view looks like it fishtails a bit towards the button but sort of looks confused that it might just be a straight sided stem. nice job! A few more and I think you will have it nailed down.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You're definitely on the right track. Keep on working at it. :-)
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

Noted! Thanks for your input guys, I truly appreciate it! I might take a short brake from Billiards now, make something else for a while to clear my head. But I'll come back to it! :D
Charl

Post by Charl »

I don't really understand your "billiard proportions picture", Mr Solomon. Or let me re-phrase: I've seen it better and easier explained. Some new guys might get really confused about what a billiard is suppose to look like. If I have time I'll try to look around.