#4 poker?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
E.L.Cooley

#4 poker?

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Hey all,
Here is my first try at a poker. Also first attempt at a contrast stain. As always critique welcome so I can improve. Thx

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my banana phone.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: #4 poker?

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

not bad. the shank is a little high on the bowl and there are a few other detail areas, but pretty good for #4.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Nice job on staining! That's some nice grain there. Looks like the drilling is good too. The chamber walls aren't quite round, so I assume you're doing it by hand. You can use a compass to make pencil marks where you need the outer walls to be.

The shank and taper look good, and your stem can be a little thinner behind the button.

I like your stem inlay. What kind of wood did you use?
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

#4 poker?

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Solomon_pipes thanks I'm thinking about cutting it down. I was afraid I'd lose the sitting if I took more meat off the bottom.

Sandahlpipe thank for the detailed critique. It is my first attempt at contrast stain. I used black yellow mahogany in that order. I used the French wheel for shaping. It feels a little wonky. I will use the compass next time I didn't even think of that it is sitting right there on my bench.
I was thinking of trying a saddle but I haven't read up on saddle shaping. I might take the files back to it. I appreciate you taking the time to look at the pics and pointing these things out.
The inlay is paduak. I thought the orange would be fun. I grabbed a bunch of different 1/8"x3/4" strips for cutting boards and a couple acrylic pen blanks from woodcraft. From yellow heart to wenge. I used 1mm ebonite sheet for the front. I picked that up from Steve a week or so.

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you want it to still sit, make the shank and stem shorter or make the bottom of the bowl angle away from the shank.

I personally use paddauk and like how it looks against ebonite the way you did it. Keep up the nice work!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Thanks for the encouragement sandahl. I think I will shorten it tomorrow. Padduak I've never heard of it until I was at woodcraft the other day.

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

If you put a slight angle on the bottom of the pipe so that the stem doesn't point downward from the bowl it would make a huge difference in the overall composition. Not bad for a 4th. Your junction between the stem and shank and the inlay work is especially good for a beginner.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Wdtiepen, I think I'll take a little off the bottom today. I'll will try to make sure if it leans a little to be forward. Thanks for taking the time.