bevel vs dome

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
E.L.Cooley

Re: bevel vs dome

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Rum

Sent from my banana phone.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Exactly! :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Tyler wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:I so glad to be a repairman. :lol:
You started it posting the bevel on your Dublin. (Which in that case was a good move,IMO...it suited that pipe.)

Every freaking pipe since then has been beveled. It has been my life's goal ever since to stop that train.

Damn. I forgot about that. The Butterfly Effect strikes again. :shock:

It was just right for that pipe, wasn't it? Glad I did it. But it was sort of a strange one, shape-wise.

Hey --- I just remembered I once had to top a high-dollar uberpipe whose rim had been torch-lightered (trying to talk people out of using those things on a pipe has been MY life's goal :evil: ), and ended up doing a "bi-radius" dome. Hard to describe, but it also suited the shape well. I can't recall how I actually did it, though. :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think I overstated my case. I didn't mean to indicate you shouldn't make a dome or a bevel, but that if you decide one kind is your style, you should stick to it. I am still trying to find my voice and have traced some of it down to customer requests. I've been asked to do things that I didn't really like and I didn't feel that the resulting work was something I liked, though the customer was happy.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think Sasquatch is drunk again. :P

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

LOL yeah I came across a little strong. Ooops.

I just think that there's something fucked up going on, and maybe it's always and always BEEN going on in the artisan pipe community, and I just have a serious bug up my ass about it, and I don't even know why.

This pipe could be better, but a domed rim wouldn't make it better. IF that's right, if it is, then that's interesting and worth exploring.

Actually what I'm pissed off at is that we've somehow screwed up and mixed the "personal taste" into the "objective criteria" part of our pipe judging (de-constructing?). This is exactly what we've worked so hard not to do. When someone posts a pipe and a well established maker says "you could do this and this and this better" it's because he's able to establish within a particular aesthetic schema which parts of the pipe fall outside the schema. If you mix in "Yeah, you know, I really don't like SMALL pipes, so I think you should have made it bigger." the whole process is junk.

We have reduced a complicated and interesting aesthetic issue to one of personal preference, and I think that's wrong-headed. Is cumberland wrong because I don't like it? Is Abe Herbaugh's button the only way to carve a button (probably. Shit!)? There is a pretty defined set of rules that most of us are working in most of the time, and this "I don't like bevels" bullshit has no place in the discussion except over Scotch. It's not part of the critique because it's not a violation of principle, but rather a personal choice, unless someone offers ideas about a particular pipe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm glad you old timers are here to keep us youngins on track.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Nice points, Todd. While I have a personal preference for domed rims, I absolutely agree that a note like, "dome the rim" needs to be justified and explained if anything is to be learned from the critique.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Ok scotch it is. Not rum? If you add tequila in your next comment you will have hit all my favorites.

Sent from my banana phone.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

LittleBill wrote:
keilwerth wrote: the only thing I always refuse to do is that ridiculous invention of a 9mm filter.
The only thing 9mm is good for is shooting, and not even that if there is a .45 around. :P

I like both domes and bevels. I think it depends on the rest of the style of the pipe.
:clap: