Interesting editorial by Mike Glukler

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Interesting editorial by Mike Glukler

Post by LatakiaLover »

Mike is a great guy. I've known him for years, and he is charming, funny, soft-spoken, passionate about pipes, and has a lot of experience in the re-sell game.

He's also a through-and-through Mellow Canadian, so his occasional lateral moves often catch people by surprise. Something he did the other day is a prime example. Like Marty Pulvers, Mike puts what amounts to an editorial on the front page of his site from time to time, and his latest addresses the recent dramatic rise in the number of pipemakers around the world.

If you're inclined to keep up on the subject, give it a read and report back. Should be a good conversation starter:

http://www.briarblues.com/index.htm
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Re: Interesting editorial by Mike Glukler

Post by Sasquatch »

I found it condescending and ignorant. I'll post that here because I've chatted with Michael about it on another forum, and he for sure didn't mean to be mean-spirited or be putting anyone down. I don't want this to become a thing where I'm seen as attacking him or his ideas and not giving him an opportunity to defend or explain. And as I have told a few people, I'll defend his right to post this stuff, that's what freedom of expression is about. I just don't agree with the content this time.

I buck at the notion that true mastery requires breadth rather than depth, I buck at the notion that all pipes are or should be Art, and that all pipe makers should strive to be basically something more than "just a pipe carver". I've worked too hard to be just a pipe carver to think that it's not an acceptable end in itself.

So while the intent of the article on Michael's part is surely to inspire a generation to greatness, I couldn't help but find myself thinking "What the fuck does this guy know about pipe making?"
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Put this another way: I have a solution for the woes of General Motors and it will revolutionize the auto industry. All GM needs to do is make better cars than Toyota and charge a little less than Toyota does and offer better warranty. If they do this, sales will skyrocket and they'll dominate the industry.

They should make this push initially by offering a supercar, a $400,000.00 unit to rival those pasta-rocket imports. Made from American steel with American brains and American technology. EVERYBODY would get behind this, wouldn't you? Sell a couple hundred thousand of these, the coffers are full to the brim.

Like, why GM hasn't thought of this stuff and implemented it is beyond me.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Sasquatch wrote: I buck at the notion that true mastery requires breadth rather than depth, I buck at the notion that all pipes are or should be Art, and that all pipe makers should strive to be basically something more than "just a pipe carver".
Amen
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

I think this guy left out out so many of the "elite" pipe makers. And does he not realize that they all started off at much lower levels of skill I'm sure. Everyone has to start somewhere, and the ones that are capable of learning and applying the skills needed to make high end artisan grade pipes will prevail and become the next generation of "elite" pipe makers. I feel the true collectors will be able to decipher the value and make a solid decision on weather or not it is a collectible pipe. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and my opinion is this guy just made himself sound like an ass :D
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Yak

Post by Yak »

These are just thoughts that come to mind on this. Feel very free to just click out.

IMO you guys are missing something. I.e., that there is no "pipe market." There are independent, self-contained pipe marketS that operate all but independently of each other.

Just because he's not describing your niche doesn't mean he's dumping on you. He is, IMHO, in the business of re-selling pipes that people have, in not a few cases, spent a lot of money on, don't like, and are holding out for taking less of a bath on than the impersonal "market" would dictate. So he's going to play to the mind set, naturally, that buys that kind of pipe.

The one he's describing is a mutual admiration society of high-rollers, a little too precious for its own good IMO, but entitled to the pursuit of happiness on its own terms. Lots of self-congradulatory preening & stereotypical mutual admiration going on in it. Making consensus on what "the good stuff" is critical for one's periodic internet "selfies" reliably inducing the admiration of his fellow aesthetes for demonstrating his "good taste." (Even notice how tentative departures from the consensus-established pantheon are ? How this up & coming guy or that one might be someone worth watching . . . ?)

On the other end, there are makers who are, effectively, in direct competition with Savinelli and Peterson, with the same $3XX top end, countering exposure handicaps & relative lack of brand/name recognition with far superior airways and custom options, tending to lose out to them (IMO) only in the lower end by (arguably) overvaluing their lunchbox productions. "Take the money and run" is not the worst formula, IMO, for growing a business. Especially when that's the fallback position to move what hasn't sold quickly anyway.

Then there are the non-traditional shape or modern shape market guys, which seems to be a definite name-recognition/-value game : nice when you reach the Herebaugh/Parks level of commercial $ucce$$ (names at random) but a long slog to reach it.

[Problem is -- or would seem, from utter unfamilarity with it -- who do you sell to while you're getting there ? How many people are looking for an affordable Esquimo/Blowfish ?]

Same with the estate market. There are the wholesale, retail, & retail-with-pretentions markets operating in parallel. Which continues to amaze me when ebay searches turn up the kind of higher end Charatans out there for $350 that I can (& have) picked up for $80 & some cleanup. But people seemingly either will not learn, or more likely, won't. There are people who WANT TO spend a lot of money for the pipes they smoke. It makes them "better" somehow. They're locked into that assumption set and, of course, there are vendors catering to it. (FWIW : it may or may not be a good idea to take that tack with your presentation, because the kind of people in your market niche may not be coming in resonating with, or even viewing it favorably).
BriarBlues

Post by BriarBlues »

Good Day All;

I have thought long and hard before offering a follow up to your comments and observations.
First let me say that I am not an expert on pipes. Never have been and doubt I ever will be considered an expert. I try and learn new things about pipes every day.

Now where to begin?

What the “F” do I know about pipe carving? Well I have made pipes. Many years ago. I learned very quickly that while my brain knows what a pipe is supposed to look like and what the processes are to create a decent pipe, my manual dexterity lacks the skills required. I worked at it very hard and tried to get better, but it was not to be.

Sometimes no matter how much we want something and try to achieve the goal, it’s just beyond our abilities.

I have played guitar since my teens. Did I study hard and put in countless hours? Yes. I have played with some talented musicians, that were kind enough to allow me to join in. Am I a skilled guitar player? Nope. Can I play and enjoy making noise? Yes. Am I a musician? Only in my dreams.

I do appreciate the skills all pipe carvers possess.

There is nothing wrong with creating pipes in shapes and styles that you are most comfortable with. There is an amazing array of great pipe carvers that do not have the skills OR prefer not to create shapes or styles they are not comfortable with. Some of the elite carvers (considered by some to be the best of the best) do not venture beyond the styles they prefer. Nothing wrong with that. They are still elite and greatly skilled artists.

As far as a mutual admiration society. That does not hold any weight. I know each of the carvers I mentioned. I am friendly with them all, but I do not consider any to be close friends, nor would they look upon me as a close friend. I do not know any of their wives names, children’s names; have not spent enough time with any to go beyond saying we have a friendly causal relationship.

Admiration? Absolutely. I admire their skills. Hell, IF I had half their skills, I’d probably be carving pipes myself.

What I offered was a group of carvers which I believe have earned the status ( in my mind ) to be masters of their craft. A group that is comfortable in all styles and shapes. Be it the British, Italian, or Scandinavian styles. They have all showed the ability to create pipes from either essence.

Are there other carvers that have the same abilities? I am sure there are. Just as I am sure there are carvers that chose not to. Again there is nothing wrong with being “comfortable in your own skin.”

As far as me showing myself to be an “ass”. Maybe. Not the first time and certainly won’t be the last.

You may not like or agree with my thoughts and opinions. As years have gone by my opinions on pipes and carvers has changed. I have witnessed rank amateurs blossom into incredibly skilled artisans. Some I thought would end up like me, without the needed skills, and all of a sudden the lights went on and they arrived. Some have continued to evolve and impress me more and more with each passing pipe they create. Others have plateaued and just pass each day in mediocrity.

It’s not about depth or breadth. It was about being highly skilled at all facets. It’s better to be a master of one, as opposed to being a jack of all trades. However, being a master of all is still superior.

That being said, being true to you ranks ever higher.

After I penned the original post I did receive a number of emails. Mainly from clients that found the thoughts interesting and thought provoking. Some agreed, some did not and offered names of carvers they felt should be included.

I also received a few emails from professional carvers. Not one found what I wrote objectionable, nor did any, that took the time to write, tell me they felt slighted. Why? These gentlemen are all very comfortable within their own skins. They know how highly skilled they are as well they also understand the areas which are beyond their comfort zone. They also don’t really care much about my opinion. They do however care about their clients opinions. As none have any trouble selling pipes as fast ( and faster ) than they can create them, they know how valued they are to their clients.

If you felt “slighted” by my original offering, I apologize. It was not meant as a slight. However my list still stands in my mind. Would I ever try and offer a list of those I consider to be the “elite” carvers? I don’t think I have enough space on my site to offer that list. The list of carvers I view as elite, superior, incredible gifted and talented people is indeed very long.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Jeepers creepers, I wish I had read the original post! I tried finding it, but without success.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

baweaverpipes wrote:Jeepers creepers, I wish I had read the original post! I tried finding it, but without success.
Me too!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Good thing I read it back in April, huh? I can't find it either!
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
BriarBlues

Post by BriarBlues »

Good Afternoon All;

Sorry. It may be found at this url;

http://www.briarblues.com/master%20carvers.htm

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks for the link Michael, it's classy of you to dig it up for us.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Nothing against the names you named in your article, but in my opinion, none of them are "The Masters" in pipe making. They are definitely at a very high "Elite" level. The "Masters" are the ones that have had a full career - 30 plus years - and have taught many others the craft. There are not many. Sixten is probably the only clear one in sight. Rainer Barbi, Tokutomi, Tom Eltang, Mike Butera, Tim West, etc... These are the guys that had to figure it out on their own and have influenced so many. There are also a few that may be qualified that have influenced, taught, and are highly skilled - Jeff Gracik, Todd Johnson, Grechukin, Tyler Lane (yes Tyler, you have influenced all of us), etc...

Out of the guys you named Trevor, Lindner, and Rad have influenced many, but I do not know of anyone that had direct influence or teachings from Roush or Purdy. Adam has worked with many, but I do not know how he has influenced others. Trevor has a wide arrange of skills, innovation, and shapes, so does Lindner. Rad is conservative in his approach and his finish is excellent. Roush excels in finish and metal work. Purdy has his thing going. Adam is quite skilled at design and execution.

If it just based on skill in the craft, then maybe one or two guys on your list would qualify for a well rounding, but the rest have only mastered only certain things in pipe making.

There are probably about 60+ elite carvers that equal the guys you named. Then there are the ones that may be good at certain things but are still developing. Then there are the rest, then there are the hobbyist that may consider themselves professionals, etc..

Yes, I just named some names.

(This is totally just my opinon)
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
BriarBlues

Post by BriarBlues »

Premal;

The criteria I used to define a "master carver" are those that can create from all style schools. The criteria on your list are different.

The Masters / Teachers IMHO are different. Without some of the following group, this forum would be down more than a few members. Sixten Ivarsson, Poul Rasmussen, Former, Jess Chonowistch, Tom Eltang, Michael Butera, Preben Holm, Tonni, Giancarlo Guidi, Tokutomi, etc. All incredibly skilled pipe carvers. However none run the gambit of all styles.

As I've said before, there is nothing wrong with that.

If you ask 10 collectors to name the 5 "best" carvers, you'll get 10 different answers. Each list offered will carry different names. Some names will be on multiple lists, but the lists will vary. Trying to define "best" "master" " elite" depends on a multiple of variables.

When I penned the original writing I tried to keep as a tight definition as possible. What surprises me is that no one noticed that in the original writing the carvers named are all based in the US. The underlying point was not only to point out how skilled these carvers are, but to also show that IMHO ( for whatever that is worth ) is that some carvers in North America are willing to push themselves beyond what is "hot" or "currently sellable". It is that some North American carvers are willing to develop a full range of styles. Thus when a specific "hot shape or style" starts to wane in collector interest, they are able to continue creating pipes.

If a collector / buyer is only after classic bent bulldogs, and the carver does not offer the shape, there is little chance for garnering a new client. If someone collects the blowfish shape, not much chance you'll see an Ashton in their collection.

If one limits the breadth of their abilities, they at the same time limit their longevity.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Interesting viewpoint, Michael. I'm very far from a master but I don't fit into your philosophy and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. I'll first admit that I'm a terrible businessman. That being said, I loathe fads and tend to never follow the pack. It's one of the reasons I became interested in pipes and pipemaking. It's also a top criteria on which I base most life decisions. I don't make a Devil Anse or "blowfish" precisely because everyone and their brother wants one and everyone and their brother is making them. It's not because I can't make them. There are also a lot of styles of pipes that I just don't care for and so I don't make them. I don't point this out because I think I should be on the list because I most certainly shouldn't. I'm just pointing out that, just because a pipemaker doesn't make all styles of pipes doesn't mean they can't. Many of us consider what we do as art. (And I don't want to get into the artist vs. craftsman debate.) As artists, making pipes is an expression of our own aesthetic preferences. I guess I'm saying that I think your criteria for "master" is flawed and that may be the basis of any controversy over your article for many. I think your list is okay based on your definition however. Your article is clearly an opinion piece and your certainly entitled to yours. Just a thought.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
BriarBlues

Post by BriarBlues »

Hello Wayne

Thank You for taking the time to add to the discussion.

I understand exactly what you are saying and totally agree. Many superb carvers are very comfortable in their own skin and as such find no need to "chase" fads.

As I re look at the original writing and think further, I can safely say it's not as cut and dry as I first expressed. In fact maybe the criteria is askew, or the choice of words could have been expressed better.

I still believe that my original group, plus later added Tom Eltang, fit the criteria. I believe that there are probably other names that could have been added.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Damn... I didn't make the cut. :(

I guess I'll go back to making pipes and stop worrying about the labels.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

BriarBlues wrote:Premal;

The criteria I used to define a "master carver" are those that can create from all style schools. The criteria on your list are different.

The Masters / Teachers IMHO are different. Without some of the following group, this forum would be down more than a few members. Sixten Ivarsson, Poul Rasmussen, Former, Jess Chonowistch, Tom Eltang, Michael Butera, Preben Holm, Tonni, Giancarlo Guidi, Tokutomi, etc. All incredibly skilled pipe carvers. However none run the gambit of all styles.

As I've said before, there is nothing wrong with that.

If you ask 10 collectors to name the 5 "best" carvers, you'll get 10 different answers. Each list offered will carry different names. Some names will be on multiple lists, but the lists will vary. Trying to define "best" "master" " elite" depends on a multiple of variables.

When I penned the original writing I tried to keep as a tight definition as possible. What surprises me is that no one noticed that in the original writing the carvers named are all based in the US. The underlying point was not only to point out how skilled these carvers are, but to also show that IMHO ( for whatever that is worth ) is that some carvers in North America are willing to push themselves beyond what is "hot" or "currently sellable". It is that some North American carvers are willing to develop a full range of styles. Thus when a specific "hot shape or style" starts to wane in collector interest, they are able to continue creating pipes.

If a collector / buyer is only after classic bent bulldogs, and the carver does not offer the shape, there is little chance for garnering a new client. If someone collects the blowfish shape, not much chance you'll see an Ashton in their collection.

If one limits the breadth of their abilities, they at the same time limit their longevity.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
Hello Michael,

Thank you for responding and explaining. I think I now understand the definition of "Master" you are describing. However, a couple on your list do not really fall under your criteria based on the body of their work.

Roush is very good at making stout Italian style shapes with metal rings. I have never seen any other style from him. No Scandinavian or even Classic English. His styling strictly derives from the Italian style with a little of his own styling.

Will Purdy has a very focused styling that derives from English with a couple of unique shapes that he creates.

Adam, Trevor, Rad, & Lindner fit your criteria, but so do another 60+ pipe makers around the world. Maybe another 100+.

Your original article and posts on this forum do not make a whole lot of sense to me because of these points.
Premal Chheda
BriarBlues

Post by BriarBlues »

Hello Premal;

I understand what you are suggesting, however .... much depends on how many of the specific carvers work you have seen.

I'll use Larry Roush as an example. Is he influenced by the Italian styles? Absolutely. Has he made some Scandinavian inspired shapes? Yes I have seen a few. How about a classic straight billiard? He made a straight group 6 - 7 for Greg Pease, which had one removed the stem and put one in with a white dot at first glance no one would have noticed. Up close someone would know as the finish was just way superior to what leaves the Dunhill factory floor.

I have seen Purdy's that you would say carry the Danish influence as well some that lean towards Italy.

On my first list I wanted to add a few other names, but honestly I had not seen the ones in mind offer a dead on classic shape. That was rectified and in a follow up I did I added Tom Eltang. Does Tom offer anything resembling the Italian school? If you mean Castello or Ser Jacopo ... no. If you mean Paolo Becker, than yes I do see some similarities in their shaping / finish " ideas".

I am sure there are more names that could be added. As I see more pipes offered by more carvers my personal "list" may grow.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

BriarBlues wrote:Hello Premal;

I understand what you are suggesting, however .... much depends on how many of the specific carvers work you have seen.

I'll use Larry Roush as an example. Is he influenced by the Italian styles? Absolutely. Has he made some Scandinavian inspired shapes? Yes I have seen a few. How about a classic straight billiard? He made a straight group 6 - 7 for Greg Pease, which had one removed the stem and put one in with a white dot at first glance no one would have noticed. Up close someone would know as the finish was just way superior to what leaves the Dunhill factory floor.

I have seen Purdy's that you would say carry the Danish influence as well some that lean towards Italy.

On my first list I wanted to add a few other names, but honestly I had not seen the ones in mind offer a dead on classic shape. That was rectified and in a follow up I did I added Tom Eltang. Does Tom offer anything resembling the Italian school? If you mean Castello or Ser Jacopo ... no. If you mean Paolo Becker, than yes I do see some similarities in their shaping / finish " ideas".

I am sure there are more names that could be added. As I see more pipes offered by more carvers my personal "list" may grow.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
Hello Michael,

I have seen a lot. Of all makers and especially the guys you listed. I just looked through Larry's gallery, and I did not see a single piece that leaned more heavily towards English than Italian. I did not really see any danish styling in any of his work. In my opinion, it all leans heavily towards Italian. I have seen a lot of his work that is not listed on his gallery as well. I have also owned quite a few of his pipes over the years. Maybe we have different views on what is "Italian" "Danish" & "English" I am curious to see the pipe that GLP has. If you have a picture or a link to it, please share.

I also just took a look at Will's gallery and most of it leans towards English / Italian. He also has some very unique shaping that is his own design. I do not see any elements of Danish in his work at all. Again, it may be a difference in what you and I view as "Danish" Will sticks to fairly straight shank bents which aligns more with English styling than anything else. His designs are not quite leaning towards anything heavily, but English is the closest in my opinion.

Eltang can do it all, and he can do it to the highest level with styling innovation that influences his school of origination. Former is another one, and Chonowitsch, & Gracik, etc... There are quite a few. 60-100+

There are also a few new schools that have developed over the last few years and decades. American, Japanese, Russian/Eastern Europe, Maybe Chinese, German, Crazy Wallensteins, etc.. The Japanese, Russians, & Germans have got their roots from the Danish, but have veered off a little. American is a melting pot, like it should be.

I have seen and studied almost everyone's work that has been making pipes for 8+ years, and I think there are many with the talent and body of work that covers your criteria. Especially many of the newer Americans - Ernie Markle, Nate King, Ryan Alden, Bill Shalosky, Thomas James, JnJ, Abe Herbaugh, Yeti, etc.............................

Again, it may come down to what each of our opinions are. As I am a Pipe Maker & Retailer, and you are a Collector & Retailer.
Premal Chheda