need suggestions...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

need suggestions...

Post by bscofield »

OK, I'm looking for some suggestions...

1- What should I have for dinner...

and (to be more on-topic)

2- I'm thinking about shaving off the "back corner" of this bowl in order give the bottom line a more rounded flow instead of what it currently has. I'm torn tho. I like the flow it has... but it may look better otherwise.

What do you think? Incidently, the "back corner" spoken of would be the bottom left side of this pic.

None of the rest of this is "finished," BTW.

sgillett

Post by sgillett »

1) Sonic Fire Island Buger with fries & a strawberry shake.

2) Leave it the way it is. It looks good.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

what is it that you see at the shank/stem transition? I can't tell what your talking about...
marks

Post by marks »

Hard for me to tell exactly what, if anything, is needed from the picture. However, if it does need any tweaking, it appears not to need much at all.
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

i think what ramndom is saying is, the shank needs to taper the other way. it looks like the shank tapers and gets thicker as you go towards the stem, when it is supposed to get thicker the closer to the bowl you get. the shank size doesnt match the size of the bowl also its too thick in spots. a nice thin shank is needed to make that shape look *right* .

and yes i would shave off some from the underside of the bowl furthest from the shank. at the heel if you may. it looks like the bowl is canted towards the shank to me and should be canted the other way. and shaving this off will cant the bowl more towards center. JMO
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

BriarBrian wrote:i think what ramndom is saying is, the shank needs to taper the other way. it looks like the shank tapers and gets thicker as you go towards the stem, when it is supposed to get thicker the closer to the bowl you get. the shank size doesnt match the size of the bowl also its too thick in spots. a nice thin shank is needed to make that shape look *right* .

and yes i would shave off some from the underside of the bowl furthest from the shank. at the heel if you may. it looks like the bowl is canted towards the shank to me and should be canted the other way. and shaving this off will cant the bowl more towards center. JMO
WOW! I never knew their were so many absolutes in pipe making! :wink:

The flare outward was on purpose. After drilling this one and letting it sit, I sort of wished that i had done something else but the drilling was done (mortise/draught hole at different angles). And as far as I know there are no standards as far as how a shank "should be" shaped. There a plenty of high grade pipe makers that flare their shanks outwards.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Ben,

Ok, leave it to me to be different, but I think the pipe is what you want it to be. It looks like a great pipe. I really like the stem. The only thing that I would say that I would do if I were making it, would be to bring the the bottom of the bowl (on the shank side) in just a little bit. You know, right above where it meets the shank, I would bring that in just a tad. That to me would match up to the flow of the curve on the front of the bowl (opposite the shank). But the pipe is very nice in my opinion just the way it is and the outward flare on the shank is very cool. The stem is very nice. I take it that it is hand cut?
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Now I'm just a pipe consumer but I see nothing wrong with the outward falir of the shank. What I do see is that the bowl to my eye is somewhat out of whack. Personally I'd like to see the bowl shaped more like an acorn.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

:)

The acorn thing crossed my mind and I *ALMOST* went there... but I had just made one and decided to not. If you could see the pipe in 3D you'd see that it's acutally thinner from the other profile than it is this way, it's not round, it's oval.
achduliebe wrote:The stem is very nice. I take it that it is hand cut?
Might has well have been... but in truth it's a severly modified pre-fab.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Do you have shots of this from other angles?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ScoJo wrote:Do you have shots of this from other angles?
not yet... I only wanted to opinions on the lines from this angle, so that's all I took.

Promises to be a great piece of wood tho! Very nice wood grain!
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I'm not bothered by the way the shank flares outward. I agree with others in that I would bring the bowl in a bit at the top of the shank where the shank and bowl meet. It strikes me, though, that if you do this and bring in the bowl at the bottom left (bottom of the front of the bowl), then you *will* end up with something that is more acorn-shaped, right?
magruder

Post by magruder »

OK, I can't resist a chance to throw in my 2¢ -

I think you should take a long, lengthly look at it -
and then throw it away.

NO, seriously, It is almost there isn't it?
Look at it long enough to "know" what is next. I like to hold a pipe up to a light toned, neutral wall w/ a light between the wall and the pipe. That way I only see the shape. Details go black. Then I turn and twist the pipe at all angles to see how the curves and lines transition and to see where the "weight" is in the shape. After my eyes get sore, I just shave it down to a billiard and quit. :lol:

As to the shank, I love it. I wonder about the mass of the stem being a bit much?
I like the way this pipe straddles the line betwen a trad. billiard a very Danish type pipe.

I'm eager to see more views and the finished pipe!
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

Ben,
dont take it wrong i wasnt attacking you, just giving you my opinion on what the shape looks like *to me* thats all. The flow has to be there and i think that is what you are asking about, i could be wrong, but for the flow to be there, in my eye, it would have to be modified with a thinner shank. and yes you are right some makers do flare their shanks out the opposite way i didnt know that was intentionally done. does it taper all the way out to the end of the stem and get wider at the button? or does it look like a preganant snake? with it wider in the middle and thinner on the ends( by te bowl and at the button)?, its just hard to see it with only one view because the pipe has to be viewed as a whole to understand where you are going with it. but it just looked like it was off to me maybe i explained it wrong. :lol:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

No worries...

the stem is still a little fatty cause I haven't finished trimming down the rest of it.
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

I think i see what looked off to me now, see the bottom of your shank how it curves up towards the stem? Now look at the top of the shank it is straight as anarrow, and doesnt *follow* the same line as the bottom of the shank, and thats why it looked off to me, but if thats what you planned its fine, i think thats what threw me off on the shank being thick. if you followed that same line as the bottom of the shank curves, with the top of the shank, it would be thinner. if this helps i dont know maybe im just babbling. but i like to look at all pipes and try to learn from them and look at the profiles, it had me thrown at first.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

right... I see what your saying. Yeah, basicaly, if I did follow the line from the bottom one then it'd be even and not flare. But i see now what you were saying. I was wondering what to do about the flare and how to end it. I figured if the flare continued up the stem then it could end ubruptly and then the flare would be accentuated and ended in a nice way...
Nick

Post by Nick »

I like the shank just as it is. If it were me, I think I would make the bottom of the bowl flat and make a sitter out of it.

Just a thought.