Thickness of bowl?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
lancefisher51

Thickness of bowl?

Post by lancefisher51 »

During the shaping process ( using files an rasps ) I came across a pit on the outer backside of the bowl. I'm worried that if I keep shaping once I'm done sanding the thickness will be too thin... ImageImage

Lance
Using Tapatalk
lancefisher51

Re: Thickness of bowl?

Post by lancefisher51 »

Any thoughts?

Lance
Using Tapatalk
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Looks like that goes all the way into the bowl. Welcome to the joys of pipe making.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Thoughts? Yeah - that's a horrible piece of wood. Finish it, practice, smoke it, and if it burns out, it burns out.

I and probably every other maker who is selling pipes would throw that in the garbage and grab another block. But it still has value for you in practicing shaping, fitting, finishing etc.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

I think I can save it though. I'm thinking about sawing off the top of bowl. Makimg it donit won't be deep. I think I still have some room to wiggle with that. Although doing so I think will change the entire look am feel of pipe. Image this is what I'm working with.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

That block of briar is firewood.
That's exactly the type of flaw that's probably gonna burn right through the first time you smoke it.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Just eat the goldfish and mark this one up as a "drats".
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

Damn that's upsetting. Onto the one I guess.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

I cut the plateau off just see if it was repairable. I'm pretty positive this is now junk block of briar due to bowl being too thin but I was thinking... ( I know, ouch ) but what does everyone think of practicing on thier junk pieces? I'm new to this trade an figured practice makes perfect so why not sand this down an practice my finishing techniques.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

It has a stem! :clap:

Yup. That's a good one to practice finishing on. No reason you can't smoke it yourself.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

Lol Huber thank you thank you haha but you dont think the outer wall on the bowl is too thin? I thought maybe it was too this to be able to smoke it.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

I'd smoke it for sure. At some point it'll burn out then scrap it. But save that stem. I keep trying on a block until I know I won't be able to smoke it. Someday I hope to be able to chuck in the burn pile but my skill level is low enough that it is still worth my time to practice.

Sent from my banana phone.
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

Well said.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

lancefisher51 wrote:Lol Huber thank you thank you haha but you dont think the outer wall on the bowl is too thin? I thought maybe it was too this to be able to smoke it.

Lance
I've drilled a pipe with thin walls towards the top before. Kept it for myself and smoked the hell out of it.

Would this be the first pipe you've smoked though? A thin wall like that in the jaws of inexperience may burn out quickly. Proper technique is important to keep from burning through thin walls. Smoke slowly and gently and it should be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

-Tyler Beard
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

First tobacco pipe I will have smoked yes. First pipe smoking no... doubt its the same but I have smoked out of pipes for 14 yrs now. I know a little bout smoking techniques lol

Lance
Using Tapatalk
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

lancefisher51 wrote:First tobacco pipe I will have smoked yes. First pipe smoking no... doubt its the same but I have smoked out of pipes for 14 yrs now. I know a little bout smoking techniques lol

Lance
If you're referring to what I imagine, the techniques aren't even remotely the same.

If you'd like some tips on proper technique, I bet anyone would be happy to offer some tips if you ask.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

-Tyler Beard
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Good effort in trying so hard but whoever sold you that block knew it was full of bad flaws if i was you i would contact the vendor and tell him or her how you feel about the order.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

uniquebriar wrote:Good effort in trying so hard but whoever sold you that block knew it was full of bad flaws if i was you i would contact the vendor and tell him or her how you feel about the order.
That is an interesting point about briar, I've read a number of threads regarding grain. But, is there any good advise regarding how to determine what to expect from a block?

Sent from my banana phone.
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Not really but that chamber hole tells the whole story i hope that helps.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

uniquebriar wrote:Good effort in trying so hard but whoever sold you that block knew it was full of bad flaws if i was you i would contact the vendor and tell him or her how you feel about the order.
I suggested that Lance do just this. He bought this block on ebay as a reject kit for like $8. It was sold as a reject and that cheap for a reason.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com