Greetings

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tim Chilcott

Greetings

Post by Tim Chilcott »

Greetings to all, I'm new here. I just recently got into pipe making, ordering my supplies from PIMO. I finished my first pipe, although not perfect I'm somewhat proud of what I've made, considering I haven't done any craft woodworking in 37 years. I'm not a woodworker, but I'm learning. I was a bit aggressive on filing the stem, left some marks on it. I read in a thread where it mentions using nail files, which I have obtained something similar from a hobby shop in grits of 180, 220, 400 and 600. Right now my tools consist of a rasp, various files, hobby hacksaw, back saw, sanding drum and a rotary tool with attachments, to name a few or so. I would like to eventually step up to power tools, but for the time being I feel like I really need to hone basic skills with basic tools. Pretty much the same groove I experienced on my first project in woodworking class while I was in school. I do have a couple of questions; I see where the metal lathe is preferred over the wood lathe, is that because of the higher rpms? Is that what is needed for turning tenons on stems? I've seen in a post that some guys don't use the lathe at all, preferring to use skill and a good eye. Also, how do I get a high sheen or gloss on my pipe? My pipe has a little sheen, but some of the pipes I own are glossy. I'm using a tripoli buffing stick and carnuba wax, with buffing wheels mounted to a variable speed, 1/2" industrial drill, which I have fixed to a makeshift jig. Pretty much have it running close to it's highest speed. Anyway, glad to be here and I look forward to the learning experience and good chat.
Sasquatch

Re: Greetings

Post by Sasquatch »

Hi Tim, welcome to the craft.

Metal lathes are a do-all tool. You can do everything you need to for pipemaking on them and that's why they are ubiquitous in pipe making shops. Speed of the tool isn't the issue - speed of production is. I cut tenons on a wood lathe and get a nice fit. Takes me more time to do it than if I had a metal lathe.

You can mow the lawn with a pair of scissors if you want, but there are easier ways, and that's what this amounts to.

In terms of finish, you just have to practice. Sand really thorough and then hit it with tripoli. Understand that lots of pipes are shiny because they have a lacquer or acrylic finish on them, and you aren't likely to hit that with just wax.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Welcome!!
Tim Chilcott

Post by Tim Chilcott »

Thanks for the information Sasquatch, I'm sure the usefulness of the various tools will become more apparent to me as I progress in this craft. I did a second round of buffing and polishing on my first pipe, it seemed to help some. Nate, you have some cool looking pipes!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thank you Tim! Sounds like you have a decent grasp on what it takes for making a pipe. The thing that helped me most is just doing. But you'll find all the info you need on here for sure.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

As Nate says the best way to learn how to make pipes is to just make pipes. The more you make the better you will get. Each pipe you finish try and identify all the things that didn't go quite right and then try and improve on that the next time.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Welcome Tim. Ignore Nate, listen to Sas ;-). ..... Nate uses gearboxes as ideas..

Seriously, make some pipes... Read a lot... And make more pipes pipes... Listen to critique and most of all have fun

Welcome to the most habit forming hobby

James
Tim Chilcott

Post by Tim Chilcott »

Thanks Nick and James, practice makes perfect, indeed. When I was working on my first pipe I got dangerously close to the shank, with a little scratch or two. luckily, it all came out in the sanding. The shank on my first pipe kit was already turned and shaped, any slips and marks would've been hard to mask or remove. Did I learn from this? Noooo.... As I was working on my second kit a couple of nights ago, a wood piece broke off as I was sawing. No problem, I took my rotary tool with my cut off wheel attached and went to work. The piece was sawing away and bump! nicked the shank. Nice little nick, I went ahead and made some rustic marks on the shank to see how it would detract. helped some, we'll see after sanding. May have to go over that spot again as the sanding will minimize the marks around the nick. These kits came in a pair from Alexandro Zavvos, the next one of the pair I will wrap something around the shank to protect it. I plan to do a couple more of these kits, then I would like to move on to drilling my own holes. A friend of mine sold me a drill press in good condition for 15 bucks, I'm ready to try my hand at it. I have determination if nothing else.....
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Shut up James, who asked you!

;)
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

A bit of advice when shaping, if you have something like the shank that is pretty much finished and you really don't want to damage it, wrap it in electrical tape, it's soft and spongy and very good at deflecting sanding discs and rotary burrs. If you do nick it then be sure to add a few more turns as sods law says you will always hit the weak spot again and do real damage second time around.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

They make carving specific bits for rotary tools.One of the best is your sanding drum.Try all of them and find which ones are most useful to you. SAS is always right, Nate is magic and talented, Don't listen to Caskwith, unless you want elegant pipes. .Jogilli is an inspiring guy but being German, well you know, they would rather carve pipes than eat.Carve dozens of pipes and read the forum and ask questions.Someone will help, and Welcome. :D
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Jogilli is an American, which is even worse than being German ;)
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Well done Sir.He's a poser :D :D
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

caskwith wrote:Jogilli is an American, which is even worse than being German ;)
True. But at least he's not British.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Welcome!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

d.huber wrote:
go away for a few hours and look at what I miss... First off I'm Texan.. get it right fellas.. and I've been known to throw back some P&G Tips in my day ;-)

James
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

d.huber wrote:
Yeah that's true, but at least he would say squirrel properly :D
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

jogilli wrote:
d.huber wrote:
go away for a few hours and look at what I miss... First off I'm Texan.. get it right fellas.. and I've been known to throw back some P&G Tips in my day ;-)

James
There's no "&" you fool. Nowt wrong with a cup of PG tips (pyramid bad preferred) anyone who visits my shop will need to go through several mugs a day.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

If there's one thing I hate, it's intolerance.......and the French. I can't stand the French.

Welcome aboard, Tim.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

So Liptons Tea it is then ;-)

james