Thoughts on artistic style and trade secrets.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
meathod

Thoughts on artistic style and trade secrets.

Post by meathod »

There are many of you on here who have a very unique style... (walle comes to mind)

I like to think that I also have a unique style.

Now... over the last year, I've noticed there are people out there ripping off my work. (not on this forum or anyone from it)

I'm not going to post links, but I'll just say that it's very clearly a rip off, not only of my style, my materials, my techniques, but also of the way I word my pipe names and descriptions...

I am just wondering, if any of you have experience with this.. how did it make you feel?

Anyhow, I kinda asked for this, I have, for years, posted detailed pictures of how I make my pipes, I've shared everything.

Needless to say, I now understand the value of trade secrets.
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Ocelot55

Re: Thoughts on artistic style and trade secrets.

Post by Ocelot55 »

I don't think anyone could do it as well as you do. I love your work and attention to detail, but there is always something unique to each person's style. A bit of your own "soul" goes into each piece and I think it shows. Keep pluggin along!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Bottom line? Combinational creativity is your stock in trade, not conventional methods and materials, which makes it easier to copy.

As for the existence of people who are eager and willing TO copy other people's stuff, welcome to Planet Earth.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

imitation is flattery. I would take it as a sign your work inspired.
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Well don't take it that hard.

It would be a great honor to me to see someone in a few years, copying my style of pipemaking.
Massis

Post by Massis »

My first reaction was "ripping of the way you make pipes? Aren't most pipes rather similar?" and then I remembered D.M. pipes.

There will always be copycats and people trying to duplicate your work. It's your job to make sure your pipes are better than theirs. In your case I have no doubt that they are...
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Get enough people to imitate your work and you surpass being a simple "pipe maker" and become the founder of a full fledged artistic movement or school or something. I dunno. You could always found out where they live and knee cap 'em when they go out to get the paper in the morning.
meathod

Post by meathod »

Damn.. All you guys went and made me feel all warm and fuzzy about the whole thing.

I retract everything! It's fine! :mrgreen:

I don't even know what I was whining about... thanks everyone.
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've had my more obviously original work blatantly copied without any credit or nod. To add insult to injury, in some ways his replication of my shape was better than mine which stings a little. But, in the end, it's a compliment to have a pipe that you've made that's interesting enough for someone to be inspired by it and want to replicate it. It's also good to be pushed and challenged to be better than your competition. Also, consider that people replicate the work of the masters all the time. When Rad makes a calabash with spalted tamarind, next thing you know everyone and his brother is doing it too. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

wdteipen wrote:I've had my more obviously original work blatantly copied without any credit or nod. To add insult to injury, in some ways his replication of my shape was better than mine which stings a little. But, in the end, it's a compliment to have a pipe that you've made that's interesting enough for someone to be inspired by it and want to replicate it. It's also good to be pushed and challenged to be better than your competition. Also, consider that people replicate the work of the masters all the time. When Rad makes a calabash with spalted tamarind, next thing you know everyone and his brother is doing it too. :lol:
I have a really nice piece of olive I plan on one day making a Mad Hatter from, but don't worry, there's very little chance my replication will ever come even close to your execution :oops:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

All my pipes are copies of other people's work so really I'm having trouble seeing the issue here.

One of the things a guy cultivates is brand awareness, where your name gets associated with your style (for better or worse!) and people know "the real thing" from a presumably cheaper or poorer built copy.

I've always kind of thought that anyone who could outright copy someone else's pipe, not just sort of get the style mostly right, but really make something almost indisinguishable... that person has the same skills I have and deserves the same accolades/praise/market-share or however you want to judge it.

I don't think "trade secrets" has anything to do with this phenomenon. Unless a guy makes a pipe with my hands, using my tools in my shop, it ain't gonna be much like my pipe, really.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

There are fine lines between imitation, reproduction, and forgery.

If people are trying to pass their stuff off as yours, that's obviously wrong. It's less problematic when people use your style and admit that they are imitating you. But if they do own up to it, then they risk being accused of using your name to market their work.

As a teacher, I sometimes work hard to get my students to imitate my work, yet when they really succeed, it is both thrilling and frightening. But if you are willing to teach at all, you have to be willing to be surpassed.
- Steve S.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I re-read my post and want to clarify that I, in no way, equate myself to a master pipe maker. I'm very, very far from it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I think it's a good sign that people are copying your work man- honestly we all know you're the founder of your "movement"! Every time I see a Ramses shape, I think firstly of Bo Nordh, THEN I look at who made it. For me personally, I'm trying to use more traditional techniques, whilst finding a way to distinguish my work. It's rather interesting trying to figure out how you personally would make a given conventional pipe shape. Sometimes I like to copy Wayne's shapes too though, it's easier than having to think for myself.

Anywho- I hope some day people copy my shapes- just not better than me.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote: Unless a guy makes a pipe with my hands, using my tools in my shop, it ain't gonna be much like my pipe, really.
I have this horrible vision in my head of that clay pottery scene from Ghost. Cept instead of Patrick Swayze its Ernie Markle with his arms around Sas, guiding his hands ever so gently around the sanding disk... And theres this real cheesy love song in the background too :shock:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If you've seen Ernie's wife, you'd know that he'd have to be hugely, vastly drunk to prefer me to her. And even then.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Who says love makes sense?
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Don't be too pissed when I make my own version of "The Pipe of King Solomon"...

What? It was a neat design... :thumbsup:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

mredmond wrote:Who says love makes sense?
This is true. Maybe there's a chance for me and Ern after all!
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Wait until you open a magazine or turn on the TV and there is an ad that looks like you have hit the big time. With the ad showing an almost duplicate of your style made in some sweat shop in some foreign land and is selling for less than your material costs. Then you know you have hit the "big rip off" time.