slow start to the year but finally finished one up

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

slow start to the year but finally finished one up

Post by billiard »

Hey all,

Since my day job has me locked in front of a PC a whole bunch of hours every day I am not on any forums and just barely on social media, so this is just my way of saying howdy to all you pipe makers... or I think no one, save my little mailing list, would know I exist.

No critiques requested, I still see things I wish to fix and I beat myself up thoroughly about them myself, so no help requested there.

Here are the last two of 2013:

Above a basic brandy:

The one above is called "Rainstorms in My Knees" and there is a pretty cool story behind it if anyone wants to read it here: http://www.billboylepipes.com/juddspipe.html

Now this year, between work, family, and revamping my shop I haven't had much time this year but I think the shop revamp will make me more productive this year. I finished this one up this morning and it's now almost time to watch the games and drink some beers.

We all have the artisans we look up to, mine is Rad, he recently had a Saucer Rhodie on his site I liked so I tried to envision my take on it, then I tried to make my take on it, well.. uh... anyhow it came out like this:

Hope to sneak in my 10 minutes here and there and get another pipe finished up within a few weeks, so back to lurking I go and I'll see you jerks later :)

Bill
Ocelot55

Re: slow start to the year but finally finished one up

Post by Ocelot55 »

Love them all! No critique, of course, but I would like to offer my compliments. You are improving greatly!
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Jesse, appreciate it :) I just keep trying to make each one a little better and have a good time too.
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

They are all very nice! I really like the Rhodesian and can see you've developed a couple great rustication techniques. I have yet to attemp any rustication and these are inspiring to me. Thanks for sharing your work.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

These pipes clearly show that you're listening to good advice! :)

The rhodesian is really nice, you've kept some very good lines on this shape.
Just one thing, and maybe I'm the only person in the world who thinks that, but the rustication is awful. To my eye it kills the good job you've done on the shape, it instantly shouts "amateur" because of the carved-with-a-pocket-knife look. Maybe making the texture a bit more natural and organic would improve it. Just my opinion, which you never asked for :) :lol:
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks N.Burnsworth
keilwerth wrote:These pipes clearly show that you're listening to good advice! :)

Just one thing, and maybe I'm the only person in the world who thinks that, but the rustication is awful. To my eye it kills the good job you've done on the shape, it instantly shouts "amateur" because of the carved-with-a-pocket-knife look. Maybe making the texture a bit more natural and organic would improve it. Just my opinion, which you never asked for :) :lol:
Thanks for your comments :) You know rustication is funny, there are two what I would call "high level" guys on my mailing list that reply frequently when I make a new pipe. I did two very different rustications on two different pipes - they both loved one version and hated the other and told me so... But they had opposing views on each pipe :lol:

I've come to accept opinions on my rustication as just one more opinion, I've already gotten a few replies saying they love that style. So, as long as someone buys this one (eventually, not many people know me) I will consider the rustication successful ;)

I've got different tools that give me different finishes when I do rustic pipes but my long term goal is to get a good sand blasting set up and stop doing rustics. Sandblasting is faster and people pay more for it.

True thanks for the comments though :)
Charl

Post by Charl »

I agree with the comments on the Rhodesian. That stummel is well shaped. The very sharp curve to the saddle never works for me personally.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Charl wrote:The very sharp curve to the saddle never works for me personally.
A 90-degree cut can be made to look good, the catch is that it must be geometrically perfect which is difficult to do, while a curve permits latitude so scoring a "bullseye" is much easier.

It's a miniature example of why a classic shape like a Prince or billiard is so much harder to cut than a flowing, 70's-era, Danish table pipe. The latter has lots of built-in latitude, while the former is either dead-on or it isn't, and any amount of being off is easy to see.

Props to Billiard for aiming high. :D He'll nail it soon, I expect.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Charl wrote:I agree with the comments on the Rhodesian. That stummel is well shaped. The very sharp curve to the saddle never works for me personally.
Thanks for the thoughts Charl, I appreciate it. I think the saddle 90 degree verse sloped\curved is a personal taste thing. I know a few others here do not like them but I do :)
LatakiaLover wrote:
A 90-degree cut can be made to look good, the catch is that it must be geometrically perfect which is difficult to do, while a curve permits latitude so scoring a "bullseye" is much easier.

It's a miniature example of why a classic shape like a Prince or billiard is so much harder to cut than a flowing, 70's-era, Danish table pipe. The latter has lots of built-in latitude, while the former is either dead-on or it isn't, and any amount of being off is easy to see.

Props to Billiard for aiming high. :D He'll nail it soon, I expect.
Fwiw George, originally I think I had nailed the 90's when I had the 90 saddle with the sides of the stem tapered from the saddle to the button... but I thought it made the stem look too chunky. So I decided to cut in behind the saddle, on the sides, and give a slight out taper going to the button. Which is a real bitch with a file imho. I should have done the cut in on the lathe but as said when the stem was chucked up I thought I was going to taper the sides. No excuses meant, just explaining how it went on this one, I will nail that eventually ;)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Cool stuff Bill!!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Nice work Bill. So, how's the weather on the other side of the mountains?

andrew
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Nate and Andrew!
andrew wrote:So, how's the weather on the other side of the mountains?
Typical Puget Sound weather. Cold but not freezing, fog in the mornings, rains on and off until spring, with sun breaks mixed in. Saturday was great, warm and sunny, played football at the park with my sons, good stuff. Don't forget to let me know if your over this way with a little free time :)
andrew

Post by andrew »

Will do.

andrew