Inlay Material

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
bvartist

Inlay Material

Post by bvartist »

Hey everybody! I recently purchased some pen blanks called Starlight Metal Flake. They are 3/4" x 5" and thought they might make good stem inlays. Seems to be like an acrylic resin material embedded with a material that makes them look like they have metal flake in them. Wondering if anyone has tried these as an inlay material. The blanks are supposed to turn easily and polish to a high shine. I think it would look good with a nickel-silver band.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Sounds cool to me. I saw a Jess once with a Lapis insert.
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

HI I'm new here but have been lurking for a while. I make tampers and have used the blue metalflake version of the material you are talking about. It is very easy to work and polishes to an ok finish. I was not completely thrilled with the way it came out on the tamper but in smaller doses such as an inlay material it would probably be ok. I got mine from woodcraft.
Larry
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Hey Larry, did you turn it on a lathe? I am guessing that standard woodturning tools work since thats what it is sold for. Yeah, I bought it from woodcraft too. i think just the black and white would be useful for pipemaking though. have to give it a shot sometime. David
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

Yes I used standard wood turning tools on a mini lathe. Then buffed with trip& plastic compound.It didn't shine nearly as much as some of the other acrylics Ive used. It really reminded me of corian counter top material with glitter in it.