My First "Real" Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bvartist

My First "Real" Pipe

Post by bvartist »

Hi All,

New to pipecrafting and needing to get some feedback on my first "real" pipe. Its actually the 3rd pipe I've made but the first one that I drilled the tobacco hole and draught hole myself. The first two were "kits". I enjoy crafting these pipes and would like to sell a few. Needing some expert opinion on what I need to do or not do.

This first one came out fairly well, although I think I pushed the envelope with the thin shank and bit. The bad part is as I got into the briar I found a LARGE check in the middle of the block that I couldn't bypass without making the pipe too thin on the top edge. As a result there is a small crack still visible on the top edge of the bowl. You can kind of see it in the second picture toward the left edge of the pipe.

Problems I encountered were getting a good, tight fit between the shank and bit. I squared the shank with a forstner bit but there is still a little gap. And my finish isn't what I'd hoped, even throught 800 grit sanding, buffing and waxing yet still doesn't look like I achieved the mirror finish I like so well on all the "pros" pipes.

I'll try to post a picture or two of my first pipe. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions for doing better.

My next will be a freehand!

Thanks for looking!
David
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice looking pipe David. The bottom of the shank as it meets the bowl looks a bit awkward to me, as does the sudden bend in the stem. You did a really nice job on the bowl shank transition on the top of the shank. Niecely done. The sides of the transition seel a little soft for my tastes, but thats just a preference. All in all a good looking pipe. How does it smoke?
marks

Post by marks »

For your third pipe, that is very nice. Good work.

I also use a forstner bit when squaring the shank. I have found that not all forstner bits are exactly square. For instance, my 1 inch forstner will leave a crown, or dome shape on the end of the shank, and I have taken a piece of acrylic rod and glued a fine disc of sandpaper to the end to which I chuck in the drill press and lightly sand the end of the shank after using the forstner bit. Now my shanks are square.
bvartist

Thanks Nick

Post by bvartist »

Nick wrote:Nice looking pipe David. The bottom of the shank as it meets the bowl looks a bit awkward to me, as does the sudden bend in the stem. You did a really nice job on the bowl shank transition on the top of the shank. Niecely done. The sides of the transition seel a little soft for my tastes, but thats just a preference. All in all a good looking pipe. How does it smoke?
Thanks for your critique. I appreciate it. I hadn't noticed the shank/bottom of the bowl before you mentioned it. Didn't notice it had somewhat of a radius to it. Something I can watch for in the future! It smokes well, has a free draw but not hot. And of course enjoying a pipe I made myself is great.
bvartist

Shank/stem squaring

Post by bvartist »

marks wrote:For your third pipe, that is very nice. Good work.

I also use a forstner bit when squaring the shank. I have found that not all forstner bits are exactly square. For instance, my 1 inch forstner will leave a crown, or dome shape on the end of the shank, and I have taken a piece of acrylic rod and glued a fine disc of sandpaper to the end to which I chuck in the drill press and lightly sand the end of the shank after using the forstner bit. Now my shanks are square.
Thanks Mark it wouldn't surprise me if my forstner bits aren't exactly square, I bought them at Harbor Freight and they aren't known for the best quality. The more I think about it though I think the problem with the gap between my stem/shank is the brass band I used. One other thing I can watch for the next time. Didn't think to check to see if it was flat. But I'm fairly positive the stem and shank fitted well before I epoxied in the band. More to watch for on my next crafting!
marks

Post by marks »

Good luck in your endeavors. From your description of the smoking qualities of the pipe, you are well on your way.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Nick wrote: the sudden bend in the stem.
Thanks for the advice, I rebent the stem so it is straight, and you were right, does make the pipe look better. Thanks!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Glad to hear it. :)